Dove hunters; how'd you make out yesterday? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Dove hunters; how'd you make out yesterday?

Slow day yesterday. My son, his girlfriend, and myself were out from 2:30 until 6:30. Saw maybe 6 birds and only got a shot at one bird. Nobody else out either. Was odd, reminded me of a few years back when hardly anyone would be dove hunting. How did you make out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:50 PM
New Arrival

We ended up with 11. Only stayed out for about 3 hours. The birds seemed to come in waves; they would fly in 3ís and 4ís one minute then there would be a break for up to half an hour. All in all it was a good day and Winston had a great time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3F6CCF98-0E27-4D76-995E-EC0C495BB28E.jpg (1.13 MB, 7 views)
BillHjr, bad primer, RyanR and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Was slow in Berks County. Four of us got 21 combined but we hunted all day. At a public spot today but fogged in so far

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 AM
The Man

My son and I hunted near Middle Creek in the afternoon. On the way to our spots we found evidence of one kill earlier in the day and another spot with 3 empty shells on the ground.

Between 2 and 6:15PM we saw 3 birds at a distance. There was sporadic shooting a few hundred yards behind us.

At about 6:15PM they started flying and the shooting increased. Unfortunately none flew close to us. The shooting and the "flying" lasted for about 15 minutes and then shut down.

I mention the time because I never saw them start and stop flying like that. It seemed like someone flipped a switch.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post

At about 6:15PM they started flying and the shooting increased. Unfortunately none flew close to us. The shooting and the "flying" lasted for about 15 minutes and then shut down.

I mention the time because I never saw them start and stop flying like that. It seemed like someone flipped a switch.
Oh, I have. The place we hunt usually ( on an average day) is like that. You can almost count on the birds starting to fly around 6:00 or so. They'll come over sometimes in large groups, then just as suddenly its all over.

I think this heat is keeping them in the trees until just close to dark.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage

The heat is keeping me in the house, even with shorts and a T-shirt, I cannot hunt in this kind of heat, it was 97 yesterday here and itt is 93 right now at 20 after 2.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The heat is keeping me in the house, even with shorts and a T-shirt, I cannot hunt in this kind of heat, it was 97 yesterday here and itt is 93 right now at 20 after 2.

Us too! We were going yesterday and my buddy called and asked if I wanted to wade for smallmouth rather than dove hunt because of the heat. Common sense showed itself and we went fishing. The place we fish has a fair amount of dove in the area. It looks like they did not like the heat either. He saw one dove the entire afternoon. I saw none.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was out on Saturday for about 4 hours only seen one bird when I was leaving. I was hunting public land in Berks that usually has a lot of dove hunters but there weren't many out in the usual areas. I didn't hear a whole lot of shooting either.

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Got home from work around 4:35. Was going to head out around 5:30. Gauged the temperature at that time, and it felt like I had stepped into a blast furnace. Granted our front door faces the sun, but still it was hot, and not a stitch of wind blowing. I'm not sitting out in the fields in that. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 09-04-2018 at 06:04 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Went out the first day around 5:00pm till 6:15. It was too hot and mosquitoes were buzzing me. I got 17 shots and hit 7. Not my best work but I'm a little rusty since last year. The best dove hunting trip I've had in years but would have been much better 20 degrees cooler.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page