Middle Creek Dove Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Middle Creek Dove Hunt

Wonder if they're gonna manipulate any fields for this event??

https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Game-...spx?newsid=233

MIDDLE CREEK TO HOLD LIMITED DOVE HUNTING DRAWING

HARRISBURG, PA - A drawing will be held in less than two weeks for 39 lucky hunters to hunt in the controlled access areas of the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area.

Hunting will be by special permits, which will be issued after a hunter is selected in a random drawing to be held Aug. 15. Consequently, time is of the essence in applying for these special dove hunts.

Through the drawing, hunters will be selected for specific hunting days and hunting zones at Middle Creek, located on the Lebanon/Lancaster county line. Hunts will be scheduled on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, from noon to one half hour after sunset over 13 hunting days from Sept. 1 to 29, 2018.

Drawn hunters will be assigned a hunt day and one of three zones established within the controlled access area. To participate, hunters must be properly licensed and possess a migratory bird license. Drawn hunters can be accompanied by up to three guest licensed hunters.

Game Commission Executive Director Bryan Burhans believes this new opportunity will be warmly received.

“We’re glad to provide these exciting hunts for one of our state’s most challenging game birds,” Burhans said. “Selected hunters are in for a real treat and some fast action.”

Given the drawing short-application window, hunters must apply by calling the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area Visitors Center at 717-733-1512, or by emailing to [email protected] the following information: hunter name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and hunting license CID number.

Only one application per hunter may be submitted. Applications will be accepted through Tuesday Aug. 14. Days and hours of operation for the Middle Creek Visitors Center are Tuesday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sunday from 12 to 5 p.m. The facility is closed Mondays.

A public drawing will be held at the Middle Creek Visitors Center at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 15. There will be only one drawing to fill all hunting days and zones. The first 39 applications drawn will be assigned from earliest to latest hunt days, starting with Sept. 1. Hunting zones will be assigned randomly. Successful applicants will be notified by mail. Vacancies created by permit holders who do not participate in the hunt will not be filled.

Selected hunters must attend one of two pre-hunt meetings at the Middle Creek Visitors Center scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 26 at 1 p.m. and Wednesday Aug. 29 at 6 p.m. Additional hunt details will be presented at the pre-hunt meetings. Guests of selected hunters are not required to attend a pre-hunt meeting. Failure to attend an orientation meeting will void the permit.

The Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area is located along Hopeland Road, 2 miles south of Kleinfeltersville.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage

Charlie, I am pretty sure that is the plan after talking to Bryan last week. Very disappointing.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the idea the PGC is thinking outside the box and looking for more ways to increase hunter numbers and satisfaction. By the PGC allowing hunter access to game lands it makes the worry of private lands only access less of a concern. I go along with Bryan and Commissioners on this one. Time will tell how successful this will be.

The purist mentality has been a road block to other sportsman activity. Here is a case in point. Snagging salmon in NY was considered by a group of purists as not really fishing or sporting. Based on their pressure, snagging was stopped and the thousands of people who benefited along with the businesses it supported are no longer. Now you have rotting salmon along the river banks since not many are caught the "sporting" way. Sometimes the purists have it wrong.
DIYASUB likes this.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Should be fun, well except to those predisposed to be grumpy, LOL. Our WCO told us recently the PGC is looking at various ways to increase access and participation for those who enjoy dove hunting.

Big disagreement with you though Lynn on the Salmon River snagging. I was there back then and sadly it brought out the worst of the worst and many of them weren't fishermen. We would go to both the snagging and the "single hook only" areas and we enjoyed the single hooking areas much more. The push wasn't just from purists, it was from average fishermen as well and by most accounts the Salmon River experience is much better now than it was then. And guess what? There were salmon rotting along the banks then too because even during snagging days, most of the fish weren't caught so they moved upriver, spawned and died, just as they are supposed to do. Not much different than here on the Delaware , where every summer we deal with dead, spawned out shad rotting. Except of course it's summer so they stink more. Nothing like swimming in the river as a kid and a couple dead, rotting shad come floating by. Childhood memories, LOL

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 08-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

I think this is a bit silly, to submit to a drawing for a simple dove hunt. Then you have to attend a meeting, more than likely to be instructed on how to shoot doves, what ammo to use, what area to stay out of etc. Ridiculous. Do your homework and I'd bet you can find a field within a short drive of your home that offers the same or better chance to bag doves, without all the bureaucratic red tape involved.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Speaking of ammo, this would be the first time in a long time that we could use lead shot inside MC.
I signed up cause MC is only 10 minutes from my house and I wanna see how this is gonna work. The red tape is not a problem.
RyanR likes this.

Last edited by Goosehunter; 08-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ryan, you like single hook and I like snagging. I had a great time and had nothing but laughs in the snagging area. You hit on the issue when you mentioned that there was both a snagging and "lifting" (term for single hook snagging) parts of the river. Instead they had to make the whole stream single hook. A case of a powerful politician forcing his opinion on everybody else. We both know that snagging harvested way more fish than single hooking.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnappelman View Post
Ryan, you like single hook and I like snagging. I had a great time and had nothing but laughs in the snagging area. You hit on the issue when you mentioned that there was both a snagging and "lifting" (term for single hook snagging) parts of the river. Instead they had to make the whole stream single hook. A case of a powerful politician forcing his opinion on everybody else. We both know that snagging harvested way more fish than single hooking.
It's a joke to even call snagging fishing. And lifting is illegal. Using dynamite will get you more fish than actually fishing for them too, what's your point? Sorry Lynne snagging isn't fishing, it just isn't. Plenty of guys go up there now and catch lots of fish. We split our times between both areas, using both methods. For sure not everybody up there snagging was a bad apple but you and I both know there was bad behavior that flared up almost daily, mostly in the snagging areas. I saw guys fist fight each other over a dang snagged fish! That's ridiculous. You don't see much of that anymore but still plenty of guys going up to enjoy the salmon and trout runs.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Banned

What makes MC so good to have a lottery for doves. Did they plant sunflower fields?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Doves have never been shot at inside MC, dove population could be good and might make for some fast shooting.

I'm signed up for the drawing.

Charles:

Your application for the Special Dove Hunting Opportunity at Middle Creek has been accepted.
The public drawing will be held at the Middle Creek Visitor Center on Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. If selected, you will be notified by mail.
Attached is a copy of the news release for your convenience.

Albert Keith
Visitor Center Attendant
Pennsylvania Game Commission
Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page