Mourning Dove Changes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mourning Dove Changes

Looks like field manipulation will be allowed for mourning doves. Baiting is coming closer and closer.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...y%20Agenda.pdf

ADOPTED RULE MAKING
A. Create 58 Pa. Code 141.29.
Commentary: To effectively manage the wildlife resources of this Commonwealth, the
Game Commission (Commission) proposed at its January 30, 2018,
meeting to create 141.29 (relating to hunting mourning doves over
managed fields) to authorize the hunting and taking of mourning doves in
areas where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered solely as a
result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other feed where grown.
This authorization will not authorize the hunting of any other species in
these managed areas.
Action:
ANNEX A
CHAPTER 141. HUNTING AND TRAPPING
Subchapter B. SMALL GAME
141.29. Hunting mourning doves over managed fields.
(a) Limited hunting authorized. In accordance with the authorization in 50 CFR
20.21 (relating to what hunting methods are illegal), it is lawful to hunt mourning doves on or over
lands or areas that are not otherwise baited areas, and where grain or other feed has been distributed
or scattered solely as the result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other feed on the land
where grown, or solely as the result of a normal agricultural operation. This authorization does not
apply to any other species of wildlife or to the hunting of mourning doves where grain or other
feed has been distributed or scattered as the result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other
feed after September 15 each license year.
(b) Definition. For the purposes of this section, ''manipulation'' means the
alteration of natural vegetation or agricultural crops by activities that include mowing, shredding,
discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning or herbicide treatments. The term
manipulation does not include the distributing or scattering of grain, seed or other feed after
removal from or storage on the field where grown.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the update. I had planned on planting some radishes and throwing in some wheat in a couple weeks if the ground ever dries out. Right now I would need a snorkel to plant it.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage

That is indeed unfortunate! We have sunk to the level of baiting game birds.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Awesome.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM
The Man

To be legal, how far away must my manipulated dove field be from my September goose field?
Just asking for a friend.
OAWC likes this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Looks like field manipulation will be allowed for mourning doves. Baiting is coming closer and closer.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...y%20Agenda.pdf

ADOPTED RULE MAKING
A. Create 58 Pa. Code 141.29.
Commentary: To effectively manage the wildlife resources of this Commonwealth, the
Game Commission (Commission) proposed at its January 30, 2018,
meeting to create 141.29 (relating to hunting mourning doves over
managed fields) to authorize the hunting and taking of mourning doves in
areas where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered solely as a
result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other feed where grown.
This authorization will not authorize the hunting of any other species in
these managed areas.
Action:
ANNEX A
CHAPTER 141. HUNTING AND TRAPPING
Subchapter B. SMALL GAME
141.29. Hunting mourning doves over managed fields.
(a) Limited hunting authorized. In accordance with the authorization in 50 CFR
20.21 (relating to what hunting methods are illegal), it is lawful to hunt mourning doves on or over
lands or areas that are not otherwise baited areas, and where grain or other feed has been distributed
or scattered solely as the result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other feed on the land
where grown, or solely as the result of a normal agricultural operation. This authorization does not
apply to any other species of wildlife or to the hunting of mourning doves where grain or other
feed has been distributed or scattered as the result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other
feed after September 15 each license year.
(b) Definition. For the purposes of this section, ''manipulation'' means the
alteration of natural vegetation or agricultural crops by activities that include mowing, shredding,
discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning or herbicide treatments. The term
manipulation does not include the distributing or scattering of grain, seed or other feed after
removal from or storage on the field where grown.
I'm trying to understand this. So if you are going to brush hog a field of sunflowers and hunt doves over them, you must do the brush hogging before Septemeber 15?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage

Charlie, that is a very good question. Since Canada goose season and dove season are open at the same time. Talk about the camel's nose under the tent! I am ashamed of the PGC on this issue.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 PM
The Man

There's no way I'm ever gonna manipulate any fields for doves where I hunt.
But if I was to manipulate an agricultural field, here's how to do it and I think this would be legal for doves.

"(b) Definition. For the purposes of this section, ''manipulation'' means the
discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning or herbicide treatments."

Enter the corn chopper. You know how the Farmer has to turn around at the end of the corn field where's he's chopping for silage and the chopper kinda misses the wagon around the turn. All that silage spills onto the ground and the doves love those corners of the fresh cut corn field.
Now suppose you got the farmer to make a couple long passes in the corn field and let all the chopped corn spill onto the ground. Add a couple of now legal, Mojo dove spinners and you have an instant manipulated dove field.

Somehow I doubt this is what the PGC envisioned when they changed the law. Why did they even do this? Were there any hunters or groups asking for this?

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.

Last edited by Goosehunter; 07-26-2018 at 09:06 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Sage

That is exactly what they had in mind Charlie. I had a long almost argument, (civil of course), with the executive director on the subject, he was in favor and of course you know my stance. I don't know what the Commissioners were thinking but I know where their heads are at to do this. They have done this in the south before it was legal on the federal level, why the feds folded their tent and allowed it I don't know. One thing that will probably happen is that farmers will start to manipulate fields and then charge for daily access to hunt them. You know full well where all the doves in an are will be if there are fields full of easily available food. Then there is the taking the manure spreader full of grain and driving it around the fields after they are picked over by the birds to refresh the food. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. I thought PA was better than this crap. I have a hard enough time finding good dove fields now, without those who have the land baiting them away from everyone else.
Dogface likes this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 07-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Then there is the taking the manure spreader full of grain and driving it around the fields after they are picked over by the birds to refresh the food.

That would be illegal under this law, correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page