Squirrel Grand Slam - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Squirrel Grand Slam

Hello fellow hunters:

The 2011-2012 season is going to be my 1st full hunting season in 16 years. This year I will be joined by 3 new hunters, 3 of my twins will be coming along, my 15 y/o son and my 13y/o twins. Hopefully my ole buddy Mike and I will be hitting the woods together too.

Anyway I read this in the Erie Times News back in January. It was an article on late season squirrel hunting which encouraged me on 2 things. One was to get out this past late season. I did make it out once to squirrel hunt but the snow was very very deep. I did find some very large nests that I plan to revisit in September with my calls to see if I can find out what lives around there. Then in October we'll take care of business. I am also excited that this year I can take the kids out a week early and I can practice using the calls and help them take out some bushy tails.

The writer of the article talked about getting back into squirrel hunting and he decided to do a Squirrel Grand Slam. I have been thinking of this ever since. So here I am with a growing squirrel fever coming to this board and proposing doing just that. Why not try for a Squirrel Grand Slam? Now I personally have seen a couple black squirrels but never shot one. I have only killed on GRAY gray squirrel. Mostly foxes and reds have been dispatched by me. What I didn't know until this year is that the gray squirrel has a few different phases, gray and black obviously but there is a phase where they look more red and a phase where they look a bit like a fox squirrel.

So anyway about this Grand Slam.

Squirrels considered for our Grand Slam would be those legal for hunting in PA, duh, right?

Red Squirrels: with and with out the ear points/tufts

Fox Squirrels

Gray Squirrels/black squirrels and their other phases.

Black Squirrels are a bigger prize for most but if you actually get an albino squirrel that would be cool too.

So here is what to do. If you are participating then post what you shot, when you shot it, what you used, distance of shot and please we love pics!

Example:

Fox squirrel, October 15, Taurus Tracker 17HMR w/ scope and shooting stick, 50 yards in the head.

Hey this could be fun. Let me know if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Re: Squirrel Grand Slam

It would be quite an acomplishment to get all the spicies in PA in one season. Hardest to kill for me would deff be the black squrril.
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If I can get my 22WMR by then I will try and no doubt will have trouble with the black phase too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not hard to get both red and greys here and maybe a black but I never seen a fox.I dont think there in NEPA?
I seen piebald squirrels but never an albino
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Part of the Community

I have shot black, greys, and fox squirrels all in the same season. Never shot a red squirrel, but have seen hundreds. No point in shooting them as they are small and not very meaty. And I only know of 2 people who ever shot albinos.
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
The Man

I get grays and reds every year but we don't have fox
squirrels where I hunt. I do have a friend that says he
has them in a couple spots and invited me down to try and
get one so I would be up for trying the slam. Are black
squirrels part of the slam or a bonus since they are just
a color variation of the gray squirrel? They would be the
hardest to get for sure.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

I get grays, reds, and foxs, but never see any black ones around here.
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 PM

I seen grey,red and black. The fox squirrels. Haven't seen them around. I guess you find them along the southern border.
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well one reason might be to thin our the reds so the other species can also thrive. Another reason is because they are EEEVILLL, yet another would be just because they are noisy and often annoy you during dear season...or you could just whack one for the slam
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I read an article that stated that fox squirrels although were more North west - mid North in PA but that foxes had been on the move into the Susquehanna area. Fox squirrels are tree squirrels but forage more on the ground at different time intervals than grays and reds. They are also more quiet than the other two. The article also stated that they grow as big as 24". Personally I have never taken one that size but I once saw a squirrel jumping in the tree tops in Jumbo Woods in Erie County near the Ohio line that was close to or all of that. I could see it in the trees 150+ yards away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page