Several changes to pheasant at April Meeting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Several changes to pheasant at April Meeting

SOME SENIOR PHEASANT HUNTERS EXEMPTED FROM PERMIT

Any Pennsylvania hunter who held a senior lifetime hunting or combination license prior to May 13, 2017 will not need to purchase a pheasant permit to hunt pheasants in the 2018-19 license year.

The pheasant permit was created last year as a way to help offset the costs of the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s pheasant propagation program. In its first year, the $26.90 permit was required for all adult and senior pheasant hunters, including senior lifetime license buyers.

The requirement for a permit officially became regulation on May 13, 2017.

And the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today voted to allow hunters who held senior lifetime hunting or combination licenses prior to May 13, 2017 to hunt pheasant without obtaining a permit.

Adult pheasant hunters still will need to purchase the permit; junior pheasant hunters will need a free permit in 2018-19.

The pheasant permit was one of several initiatives by the Game Commission to make the pheasant propagation program more cost-effective. The agency in recent years closed two of its four pheasant farms, and began purchasing day-old chicks from private propagators rather than carrying over breeding pheasants and raising chicks from eggs.

Through these measures the annual costs of the program have been reduced from about $4.7 million to about $2.3 million. Additionally, the pheasant permit in its first year generated more than $1.1 million to help offset those costs.

Commissioners said the reduced overall costs of the program have made it easier to grandfather-in those pheasant hunters who held senior lifetime licenses at the time the permit became official.

Nearly 43,000 hunters purchased a pheasant permit, and about 4,300 of them were senior lifetime license buyers.

JUNIOR HUNTERS NEED FREE PERMIT TO HUNT PHEASANTS

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today adopted a measure that requires junior hunters to obtain a free pheasant permit to hunt pheasants in Pennsylvania.

Previously, junior hunters did not need a permit, which is required for adult and some senior hunters who pursue pheasants.

Issuance of a free permit to junior hunters will help the Game Commission quantify the number of youth participating in pheasant hunting annually – data that might entitle the agency to additional funding for its pheasant program through federal hunter recruitment funding initiatives.

The measure adopted by the board also removes the requirement to obtain a permit for individuals hunting and taking privately acquired propagated pheasants on private lands. The exemption does not apply to private lands designated by agreement as cooperative access lands, and all pheasants hunted taken or possessed through this exemption need to be appropriately banded, tagged, marked or receipted.

SOMERSET WILD PHEASANT RECOVERY AREA DISSOLVED

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today voted to dissolve the Somerset Wild Pheasant Recovery Area (WPRA), one of the state’s four WPRAs.

The Somerset WPRA was created by the Game Commission in 2009. Like other WPRAs, it was selected because its habitat gave pheasants the greatest chance to establish wild populations.

The Somerset WPRA received 964 trapped-and-transferred wild pheasants over three years, but surveys showed that the Somerset WPRA’s population failed to take hold.

Habitat conditions, weather severity, or a combination of these factors, impeded the chances of achieving a sustainable pheasant population on the WPRA.

Because WPRAs generally are closed to pheasant hunting, and the release of propagated pheasants is prohibited within WPRAs, dissolving the Somerset WPRA benefits pheasant hunters.

With the Somerset WPRA dissolved, the area will be reopened to either-sex pheasant hunting and will be eligible for game-farm pheasant releases.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Well. I can see a senior standing in a Wal-Mart line, trying to convince the clerk he had his Sr. license prior to May 13, 2017. Something tells me that will be a nightmare, since "the system" seems to screw up often ?

or..... does the Sr. inception date print on the license every year ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM

And. Some seniors were fine with chipping in the $25, but most seemed to think the PGC was "indian giving", and reneged on their good faith purchase of the Sr. license. But this is probably the best solution, as I doubt the one's that were fine with contributing, will gripe about having to save $25. LOL

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

Lifetime

"Any Pennsylvania hunter who held a senior lifetime hunting or combination license prior to May 13, 2017"

Not all seniors, just lifetime license holders. Right??
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlight View Post
"Any Pennsylvania hunter who held a senior lifetime hunting or combination license prior to May 13, 2017"

Not all seniors, just lifetime license holders. Right??

Ya, and prior to that date.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 AM
The Man

It set a precedent where they could take something off a lifetime license (any general license really) and then charge more. If it could be done with pheasants...it could be done with deer or anything else.

If they had gone with a pheasant tag, and included so many tags with every general or lifetime license, purchasing an additional pheasant permit with additional tags would have basically changed the bag limit for the general license holder. The second spring gobbler tag set the precedent where a bag limit can be increased if a person is willing to buy into it.

Maybe someday they will reconsider the idea.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Well. I can see a senior standing in a Wal-Mart line, trying to convince the clerk he had his Sr. license prior to May 13, 2017. Something tells me that will be a nightmare, since "the system" seems to screw up often ?

They really won't have to convince the Walmart employee, they just get the license they want and it's not much different than senior lifetime fishing license holders not needing an annual trout stamp if they held that senior lifetime license prior to a certain year. My dad never has a problem. Of course he gets his license at the local tackle shop but the person getting the license doesn't need to convince the license agent of anything regarding that.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 04-26-2018 at 12:52 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:44 PM
dap

Issuance of a free permit to junior hunters will help the Game Commission quantify the number of youth participating in pheasant hunting annually data that might entitle the agency to additional funding for its pheasant program through federal hunter recruitment funding initiatives.

I question the reliability of something being given away for free as a way to quantify the number of youth participating in the hunt. Who turns down a "free ticket", even if they don't plan to use it?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post

The senior lifetime license holder doesn't have to convince a clerk to give him a "free" pheasant permit . According to the press release, the senior lifetime license holder only needs the lifetime license to hunt pheasants. He (or she) is not required to have a pheasant permit.

Not that it really matters, but once again there will be know way of knowing how many hunters are going after pheasant. There will likely be thousands of youth permits given away for free and not used. There were at least 4300 senior lifetime license holders last year that bought a stamp. The number of senior hunters could rise this year because the license is not required, or it could fall because some of those 4300 are no longer able to hunt.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
Issuance of a free permit to junior hunters will help the Game Commission quantify the number of youth participating in pheasant hunting annually data that might entitle the agency to additional funding for its pheasant program through federal hunter recruitment funding initiatives.

I question the reliability of something being given away for free as a way to quantify the number of youth participating in the hunt. Who turns down a "free ticket", even if they don't plan to use it?
I agree as I think everyone who buys a youth license would get one whether or not they plan to use it. I don't think the PGC cares because I believe that this may help them get more money as it shows as a license sale? Thought I read that somewhere.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page