Lackawanna Beagle Club - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lackawanna Beagle Club

The Lackawanna Beagle Club is looking to add new members. If anyone is looking for a place to run their dogs in the offseason send me a PM and I can get you the information necessary to join. The club isn't active in trials but it's a nice place to run your dogs, and dues are cheap.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

let me know , id like to se the info . i was there once a few years ago , nice place
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Syd
Regular Visitor

Jason....Ive been a member there for over 20 yrs. The club sucks right now for running dogs. Dogs go through fence into neighbors properties. The club has turned into a hunting club for a select few not a beagle club. If a person wanted to join he needed to own AKC hounds and were excepted to work on grounds. Now new members join the club and are setting up tree stands before they run a hound...if they even have one. These same guys have plenty of time to set up trail cams but not cut brush. The timbering deal was very fishy. I asked for receipts on our payment for timber and never got them. I suggesting timbering years before and had a guy that would mark the timber and tell us how much we should except to earn. He would've done this for free also. I got zero interest in it then suddenly I find a logger in there and no vote on doing the job. When i joined i owned more beagles then everyone in the club combined. The grounds were over grown with little cover for rabbits. My father and I started cutting and fixing fence with no help from any other members. I used my own equipment and gas. We asked for fence to fix all the holes but it fell on deaf ears as usual. We also posted the property and bought all the posters and supplied the boards to hang them.I worked on the tractor many times traveling to get parts again not charging the club. My father passed away last month he had been sick for a few years but up until then he spent many days working around that place. He had that place in nice shape for a while. You can run your dog without having them get out of the club grounds on 3 sides. The back was open but if your chase went out there you weren't running a rabbit. After years of this I decided to sit on the fence like the rest of the members. I rarely run cottontails anyway. Its a shame that the club has no interest in actually being a beagle club. The club needs to really look at who they let join. We already have enough dead weight. We need guys who want to work and bring the club back to its purpose. I'll help if they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Jason....Ive been a member there for over 20 yrs. The club sucks right now for running dogs. Dogs go through fence into neighbors properties. The club has turned into a hunting club for a select few not a beagle club. If a person wanted to join he needed to own AKC hounds and were excepted to work on grounds. Now new members join the club and are setting up tree stands before they run a hound...if they even have one. These same guys have plenty of time to set up trail cams but not cut brush. The timbering deal was very fishy. I asked for receipts on our payment for timber and never got them. I suggesting timbering years before and had a guy that would mark the timber and tell us how much we should except to earn. He would've done this for free also. I got zero interest in it then suddenly I find a logger in there and no vote on doing the job. When i joined i owned more beagles then everyone in the club combined. The grounds were over grown with little cover for rabbits. My father and I started cutting and fixing fence with no help from any other members. I used my own equipment and gas. We asked for fence to fix all the holes but it fell on deaf ears as usual. We also posted the property and bought all the posters and supplied the boards to hang them.I worked on the tractor many times traveling to get parts again not charging the club. My father passed away last month he had been sick for a few years but up until then he spent many days working around that place. He had that place in nice shape for a while. You can run your dog without having them get out of the club grounds on 3 sides. The back was open but if your chase went out there you weren't running a rabbit. After years of this I decided to sit on the fence like the rest of the members. I rarely run cottontails anyway. Its a shame that the club has no interest in actually being a beagle club. The club needs to really look at who they let join. We already have enough dead weight. We need guys who want to work and bring the club back to its purpose. I'll help if they do.
I agree with a lot you have said. I've been cutting trees down myself and trying to improve it. And I figured what better way to improve it then get members to join that currently run beagles. From my understanding the timbering deal went to put a new roof on the club house, otherwise the insurance company was going to drop them.

I believe they let it go for so long and now the board members are realizing if they don't do something, like get new members they will eventually lose the club. There is a lot I can bring to the table, and I think I've finally convinced people that things need to be done. Maybe we can go to the next meting and work as a unified front and get more done.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Syd
Regular Visitor

We patched the roof many times. Offered to replace the old roof if they purchased the steel. That timber job made more money than replacing a steel roof. We never voted on officers ever. I offered to help or be one and it never happened. 2 guys with no money to fix issues isn't going to work. Maybe a few of the guys planting small food plots around their deer stands will help out. We won't lose the club as long as taxes and insurance gets paid. If we find motivated guys to join I'll be surprised. If we do there's plenty of work to be done. Fixing the fence should be first. I'd rather increase the dues then take in more deadbeat members.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree 100%. And that's what I'm attempting to do. I can't fix the fence alone, but what I could do alone is improve the running area.

You already have a bad taste in your mouth I see and I don't blame you. But what my intentions are, is to do my best at improving the grounds to their former self.

I've been a member for 12 years and just ran my dogs there. But now seeing what other beagle clubs are like I realize ours needs a lot of work and love. And that's what I'm trying to do.

Looking back I probably met your father about 5 years ago, he was a very nice man. I can't remember his name but he told me ran his dogs in the morning and then again in the evenings. And from what you are saying that was probably him.

I'm not looking to complain about the club, I want to improve it. I know you are probably jaded from past experiences but maybe we can work together and make positive changes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Syd
Regular Visitor

It takes active, dedicated members to keep up a beagle club. The work never stops. I respect your efforts and hopefully things will get better. The biggest problem currently is finding young people that are involved in beagles. Most clubs are aging rapidly with not many replacements. If you get some motivated help let me know. Ill do some cutting when Im up there also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 PM
Regular Visitor

I belong to a beagle club to and we are having the same problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page