Pheasant Program Costs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Pheasant Program Costs

This was included in the PGC annual report to the House. Decided to start another thread.

"Speaking of pheasants, our changes to the pheasant-propagation program were very successful. We underwent complete restructuring of the production model of our pheasant-propagation program by cutting our propagation farms from four to two and furloughing half of the pheasant-propagation staff. A major change in our production model was purchasing day-old pheasant chicks from a local Pennsylvania producer instead of holding over our own laying hens and incubating the eggs.

"And it worked. Prior to the restructuring, pheasant propagation cost the agency approximately $4.4 million resulting in a production cost of $19.87 per bird. For the fiscal year 2018-19, propagation costs are projected to be $2.3 million resulting in a production cost of $10.23 per bird. In addition, the Game Commissionís new pheasant permit provided over $1.1 million (42,844 permits) in new revenue to help support costs. This brings the overall net expense for pheasant propagation to less than $1.2 million for the fiscal year 2018-19 season.

"And more good news; the Game Commission has applied for a grant through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to bring our total number of birds released back to 220,000 birds. Pheasant hunters should look forward to an outstanding season.

"The Pennsylvania Game Commission distinguishes its statutory responsibility to protect wildlife as its most critical role in conservation. We roll up our sleeves every day and work diligently to meet wildlifeís challenges head-on. After all, the future of hunting, trapping, and wildlife conservation is at stake.

GAME COMMISSION DELIVERS ANNUAL REPORT TO LEGISLATURE
R. S. B., bohunr, bigguy54 and 7 others like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 PM
dap

Thanks for posting this.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is good news but I hope they reconsider allowing birds on Hunter Access fields if the habitat is suitable. Some areas have limited gamelands options.
FLDBRED, BRN2RUN and GhostCoon like this.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnappelman View Post
This is good news but I hope they reconsider allowing birds on Hunter Access fields if the habitat is suitable. Some areas have limited gamelands options.
Agreed. We have some farms here with really large tracts of CREP fields.
FLDBRED, BRN2RUN and GhostCoon like this.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the Post!

Looks like we can look forward to another good season, hopefully for years to come!
BillHjr, FLDBRED and BRN2RUN like this.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 PM

Just over $10/bird, and a total net expense of 1.2 mil now. Wow. Incredible savings, and in a very short amount of time. The program DEFINITELY shouldn't have many detractors now, as that is a minimal cost for such a worthy product. Shouldn't be much to grouse about (did I just say that ?) now, right ?
bohunr, FLDBRED and BRN2RUN like this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If the costs have been reduced that much and they're still able to provide the quality program I think they do then I think they've indeed worked hard and succeeded in being fiscally responsible with the program while still providing an enjoyable opportunity for many.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:57 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
This was included in the PGC annual report to the House. Decided to start another thread.............

"And it worked. Prior to the restructuring, pheasant propagation cost the agency approximately $4.4 million resulting in a production cost of $19.87 per bird. For the fiscal year 2018-19, propagation costs are projected to be $2.3 million resulting in a production cost of $10.23 per bird. In addition, the Game Commissionís new pheasant permit provided over $1.1 million (42,844 permits) in new revenue to help support costs. This brings the overall net expense for pheasant propagation to less than $1.2 million for the fiscal year 2018-19 season.

The proceeds from the pheasant permit last year were to offset that years cost. Here the permits sold in 2017/18 are offsetting 2018/19.. They need to sell that many again next year. If they do match this past seasons sales (most likely will), the program is still 48,000..$25 permits shy of breaking even.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of put and take hunting..I'd rather pursue hunt and trap wild critters and birds. But the costs appear to be coming down, and with extra revenues being generated, I don't see where there's much left to complain about. I never felt that the pheasant program had to be totally self funding...I said in a prior post that a 50/50 blend of permit to general fund revenue would seem correct. There is a value in the program and it is hard to pin down what that value is to the hunting culture in the state. Those who want to hunt stocked pheasants, knock yourself out. It's not affecting my hunting, although it does kinda eliminate a lot of SGLs from responsible canine trapping. Particularly since the season is now open through late February. Me, I'll stick to chasing squirrels and trapping elsewhere. But to each, their own.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 03-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I'm not a big fan of put and take hunting..I'd rather pursue hunt and trap wild critters and birds. But the costs appear to be coming down, and with extra revenues being generated, I don't see where there's much left to complain about. I never felt that the pheasant program had to be totally self funding...I said in a prior post that a 50/50 blend of permit to general fund revenue would seem correct. There is a value in the program and it is hard to pin down what that value is to the hunting culture in the state. Those who want to hunt stocked pheasants, knock yourself out. It's not affecting my hunting, although it does kinda eliminate a lot of SGLs from responsible canine trapping. Particularly since the season is now open through late February. Me, I'll stick to chasing squirrels and trapping elsewhere. But to each, there own.
This is pretty much how I feel. Also if anyone would attend a youth pheasant hunt they would see that it does hold value for youth hunters.

As a side note, there is a benefit to agencies and businesses when they go thru periods of lean finances. It forces them to look at cutting costs instead of just doing it the way they have always done it. This is a prime example of cutting the costs by about 50%.
dap and bigguy54 like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page