Atthis point in time are Ruffed Grouse safe to eat? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Atthis point in time are Ruffed Grouse safe to eat?

All the testing that has been done on grouse eggs revealed even before hatching they have been infected with West Nile Virus... Are grouse ok to eat at this point in time? I guess if they are alive when you flush and shoot one then they are not infected by the West Nile Virus??????????? UM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Grouse eggs are indeed good table fare! However with the reduction in numbers, nests are much harder to find.
Not sure if the adults are safe to eat.
JK SE Pa likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
The Man

Hasn't killed me yet, will eat the last of this past years harvest at the cabin this weekend. I'll take my chances with WNV infected grouse over pheasants fed with antibiotics.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:02 AM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
All the testing that has been done on grouse eggs revealed even before hatching they have been infected with West Nile Virus... Are grouse ok to eat at this point in time? I guess if they are alive when you flush and shoot one then they are not infected by the West Nile Virus??????????? UM?
No testing has been done on grouse eggs and there are no known cases where a grouse hatched from an egg and was already infected with West Nile Virus (WNV). The PGC gathered eggs and shipped them to a quarantined facility where it was guaranteed they would not be inadvertently exposed to WNV. Once the eggs hatched and the chicks were 4-6 weeks old they were intentionally infected with WNV to see what would happen.

In the wild, approximately 20% of the grouse killed by hunters and subsequently tested have WNV antibodies, meaning at some point in their life they had contracted WNV.

There are no know cases of people becoming infected with WNV after eating birds that did have WNV.

I have eaten one grouse that tested positive for WNV and have acquaintances that have eaten 5 others that tested positive.
uncle buck and jimbridger like this.

Last edited by dap; 03-28-2018 at 12:16 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
No testing has been done on grouse eggs and there are no known cases where a grouse hatched from an egg and was already infected with West Nile Virus (WNV). The PGC gathered eggs and shipped them to a quarantined facility where it was guaranteed they would not be inadvertently exposed to WNV. Once the eggs hatched and the chicks were 4-6 weeks old they were intentionally infected with WNV to see what would happen.

In the wild, approximately 20% of the grouse killed by hunters and subsequently tested have WNV antibodies, meaning at some point in their life they had contracted WNV.

There are no know cases of people becoming infected with WNV after eating birds that did have WNV.

I have eaten one grouse that tested positive for WNV and have acquaintances that have eaten 5 others that tested positive.
Thank you now that makes sense...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
A neighbor on my road has eaten a WNV infected grouse. From what I can see he appears healthy, I see him gritting along side the road almost every afternoon, looks normal. Can't be as bad for you as CWD, can it???
jimbridger and bigguy54 like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Sage

Does he have a drumming gig this weekend?
jimbridger likes this.

wmu 3A
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
Does he have a drumming gig this weekend?
I don't think he has mastered that really fast wing beat yet, may have to eat another infected bird or two to transfer that skill...he may not breed next month.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
he may not breed next month.

I sorta know how he feels.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

I sorta figure that with the way I took care of myself earlier in life, the fact that I made it this far is somewhat of a miracle! I hardly think eating a West Nile infected grouse is gonna kill me!
I'm a very poor shot with a substandard dog, so I don't have any in the freezer, but if I did, I'd gobble em' up without a second thought!
jimbridger likes this.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page