Hare Hunting ~ New York Style - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Cool Hare Hunting ~ New York Style

My 1st trip to NY for Hare for 2 days this past weekend.Day 1- I was solo the 1st day with my 2 veteran Beagles Anchor(13) & Shadow(11). I got into the woods around 11am saturday and Not 50 yds in I see hare tracks . The dogs bark here and there but no fresh tracks yet. Temps were low 20's with a dusting of snow on top of 3-4 feet snow. (Snowshoes required).The dogs could run on top and eventually found fresh tracks and jumped a Hare; but slow trailing out to 200 yds. 10 or so minutes later a re-jump or different Hare and they come within 50 yds. but no Hare sighting. Lots of tracks but just ther cold nose beagle Anchor barking here & there. I decide to head to the truck and hunt across the street. Well that's when things turned ugly. I walked aside a swampy area and what I thought was solid ground was actually an ice covered water hole. I broke through 2 inches of Ice and both snowshoes went under up to my knees I didn't panic and eventually freed my snowshoes but water had seeped in and it was darn cold. I got outta there and checked my garmin..650 yds to the truck . By the time I arrived my feet were numb. It was 3pm so day over Could day 2 be any worse ? On the drive to my motel room I saw some good looking cover and decided to walk in a bit. I find Hare tracks from the previous evening so I decide to hunt there the next morning. Day 2 - I awake at 5am to 4 inches of fresh snow and 28 degrees w/ 78% humidity. Fellow HPA'er Jlane35 arrives at 6;30am with 3 young beagles and we head out to the newly found spot. We aren't in the woods 5 minutes and my Beagle Anchor Barks a few times on fresh hare tracks and then all ---- breaks loose with all dogs in full cry sounding like a runaway Beagle train. The dogs were outta hearing in less than a minute. I look at my garmin and Anchor's at 400+ yds. The hare turns and heads on a big loop right to the trucks . I try to get within sight of the Hare crossing but it's already past me and way ahead of the dogs (150+ yds.) The Hare lines out again and loops shorter but I still don't see it. I hear a shot and close to where Anchor Opened up barking Jlane35 puts an end this balls to the wall hare chase . That set the bar for the rwst of the day as the dogs jumped & chased 8 more hare and at one point had 2 Hare going at the same time. We ended up with 3 Hare shot outta 9. Considering there were only 2 shooters and the cover and the sneakiness of the hare I think we fared Okay. ( I missed one flying by me with 4 shots ) Enjoy the Pics !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM07238.jpg (522.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07239.jpg (311.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07242.jpg (333.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07244.jpg (488.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07233.jpg (286.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07232.jpg (327.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07227.jpg (458.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CAM07226.jpg (426.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0_7.jpg (182.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_3_2.jpg (238.4 KB, 15 views)
Bull, jimbridger, RyanR and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

More pics !! Also Kudos to Jlane35's Beagles Amy ,Roxy, & Buddy for moving the train at a blistering pace ; while my veterans kept the train on track at those short but tough checks .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_2_4.jpg (275.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_1_2.jpg (265.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dukethebeagle; 02-19-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice pictures , but roxy is no young dog , shes 7-8
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
The Man

That's cool right there! Congrats!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietsch View Post
nice pictures , but roxy is no young dog , shes 7-8
7 is young compared to my 11 & 13 yr olds. Roxy was soloing a hare at a nice pace while the other dogs were on another hare. She looks older but had absolutely no trouble moving that Hare by herself. I'm old but can keep up with guys 20 yrs younger than me :-)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM
The Man

Good to see you had a successful hunt. Hopefully I can get a pic of that JLane guy holding a grouse next fall.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It was a blast Mike, I'm glad I was able to get my to-do list done and was able to sneak away for the day. I wish I was able to make the trip to NY more then twice this year but life happens.
Grouse&Hare likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
Good to see you had a successful hunt. Hopefully I can get a pic of that JLane guy holding a grouse next fall.
I hope so, I'll keep an eye out for grouse again this year and hopefully we can have a good day walking around the woods.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I had my doubts that I would even see a Hare after saturdays slow running and my errant fall into the icy covered waterhole. What a difference 4 inches of snow with a higher humidity level will do to scenting conditions. The running actually got better after noon on sunday. When that hare cruised by me and evaded my shots : I walked over to the tracks and the dogs ran 2-3 feet to the right of them. That was some heads up running right there. Buddy was way upfront ; kicking butt & taking names !
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Duke, I've noticed that a lot of your posts reference your own poor shooting. What do you think the problem is?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page