South Dakota Might Implement A Pheasant Release Program - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By R. S. B.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

South Dakota Might Implement A Pheasant Release Program

Noem, Jackley share initiatives to boost SD?s pheasant population at Pheasant Fest | The Daily Republic

Quote:
"...South Dakota gubernatorial candidates Marty Jackley and Kristi Noem revealed over the weekend detailed initiatives to enhance the state’s pheasant population while campaigning at the 2018 National Pheasant Fest & Quail Classic....As bird numbers have declined in recent years in South Dakota, officials with Pheasants Forever were happy to see Noem and Jackley committed to improving habitat conditions and keeping the state the top pheasant destination in the nation...."

Jackley’s Pheasant Hunting Initiative:
Create a pheasant restoration blue ribbon commission
Build public-private partnerships for habitat
Implement pheasant release program
Create volunteer habitat stamp and sportsmen license plate
Promote next generation youth hunting

Noem’s Second Century Initiative:
Increase resources for habitat management — without raising taxes
Crowdsource habitat solutions
Target predators, while inspiring the next generation of South Dakota hunters
Maintain habitat management as a national priority
Serve as sportsman in chief for South Dakota pheasant hunting

Last edited by cmrosko; 02-18-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 AM

I don't believe releasing (stocking), pheasants in South Dakota is anything news worthy, I think they've been releasing some for years up there. The rest of their new initiative may be new.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingshot View Post
I don't believe releasing (stocking), pheasants in South Dakota is anything news worthy, I think they've been releasing some for years up there. The rest of their new initiative may be new.
Yep, South Dakota, though heralded as the leading pheasant state in the nation, actually has a huge pheasant stocking program.

I am not sure the state is involved in raising and stocking pheasants but the large private pheasant hunting property owner destinations, where they charge hunters to come and hunt their property, sure are. They release a lot of pheasants every year. In fact I think they generally release about two for every pheasant harvested. I’m not sure but I think it may even be required of them.

As a side note our local Pheasants Forever Chapter had six members in attendance at this year’s Pheasant Fest held in Sioux Fall, South Dakota. Two of them were from our youth membership, who also serve as two of only 21 members of the National Youth Leadership Council coming from all across the nation.

Dick Bodenhorn

Last edited by R. S. B.; 02-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As a side not our local Pheasants Forever Chapter had six members in attendance at this year’s Pheasant Fest held in Sioux Fall, South Dakota. Two of them were from our youth membership, who also serve as two of only 21 members of the National Youth Leadership Council coming from all across the nation.

Dick Bodenhorn

Talk about getting things done and having an impact! Hats off to you and your Chapter!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDBRED View Post
As a side not our local Pheasants Forever Chapter had six members in attendance at this year’s Pheasant Fest held in Sioux Fall, South Dakota. Two of them were from our youth membership, who also serve as two of only 21 members of the National Youth Leadership Council coming from all across the nation.

Dick Bodenhorn

Talk about getting things done and having an impact! Hats off to you and your Chapter!
Thanks! We have always make youth and their development as future leaders one of our highest chapter priorities.

Dick Bodenhorn
BRN2RUN and GhostCoon like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 PM
The Man

I believe South Dakota either was...or did, start a program (through private business contributions) to pay landowners to open their land to pheasant hunters. ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page