2018 Dove Season - proposed changes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
dap

2018 Dove Season - proposed changes

The PGC Board of Commissioners has tentatively approved the following changes for the 2018 Dove Season:

- allow dove hunting over "managed" fields (for example brush hogging a field of sunflower seeds)

- Starting time during all segments of the season will be 1/2 before sunrise rather than the traditional noon start time for the September 1 date. My Note: For one year (1999) the Pennsylvania dove season starting time was 30 minutes before sunrise. In 2000 it went back to the traditional noon start time with the PGC press release stating "We found that in a few instances, early morning dove hunters were interfering with early season goose hunters. To avoid any conflict, we’ve returned to the traditional noon starting time for dove hunting in the early portion of the three-split dove seasons."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 PM
The Man

"Gave preliminary approval to a proposal that would allow hunting mourning doves in areas where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered solely as a result of manipulation of an agricultural crop or other feed where grown."

This is a game changer if you're a dove hunter, plus the battery powered spinning wing decoys are legal for doves.
Wow, what's Pa coming to?

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage

I really hope this does not pass. Just because the feds allow it doesn't mean the PGC has to allow it. This is just plain stupid. It is hard enough now to find a good place to hunt doves and now they want to allow them to be baited into fields and remove opportunities for those who do not bait.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage

Baiting doves

A copy of a letter I sent today to the BOC of the PGC. I hope others follow suit.

I found out today that the Board gave tentative approval to allow crops such as sunflowers and other grains to be brush hogged down for the express purpose of hunting doves in the fields. I cannot express how disappointed I am over this decision and the tentative approval of the regulation allowing it. They do this in the south, and they did it before it was legal because it is very effective. Right now in Lancaster Co. an area that once had phenomenal dove hunting and now has poor quality dove hunting because it is very difficult to find even a semi productive field. By allowing this regulation to go to final adoption you will be in essence be allowing those with the land and equipment to bait doves onto their land to the detriment of those who do not hold such resources. What are you thinking? Additionally, historically the early goose season coincides with the first dove season and brush hogged fields will be an attractant to the Canada geese which may not be shot over bait and again removing them from those who want to legally hunt geese or cause cause baiting geese incidents to occur or both. I am ashamed that this great state has sunk to the point where it is considering allowing the baiting and killing of migratory game birds. The fact that federal law allows crop manipulation does not require PA to follow suit. The entire board of directors should asked themselves, is this really necessary and will it do more harm than good and will it punish some hunters while rewarding others. I am certain of what the answers are to those questions are.

I urge you do not do this, it is a mistake. I always thought our wildlife agency was better than this, please don't make me wrong.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. Please provide this letter to the Board of Commissioners.
Hornberg likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Early morning dove hunters will definitely interfere with some morning goose hunts....we always try to get birds lined up for mornings, since goose patterns are sometimes changed in the evening with dove hunters creating a lot of noise during the evening flight. Now we will have potential issues for both flights.
BOOTOXEN likes this.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Wow I see a lot of doves while hunting early season geese in the early morning. A question would it be legal to be sitting in a blind with 2 shotguns? I was thinking I could bring my 20 ga with 7.5 steel shot for doves and have the 12 ga loaded with 3" steel loads for goose. I know you couldn't have lead shot even for doves if you are also hunting waterfowl.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

No, it would not be legal while hunting geese to have one shotgun loaded with non tox and one loaded with lead, You would be in possession of lead shot while waterfowl hunting.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
No, it would not be legal while hunting geese to have one shotgun loaded with non tox and one loaded with lead, You would be in possession of lead shot while waterfowl hunting.
My main question is can you have 2 shotguns? The dove gun would also be loaded with steel shot too.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage

Yes, you may have more than one shotgun in a goose blind so long as both are loaded with non tox.

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
The Man

How to Build an Awesome Dove Hunting Field

https://www.realtree.com/small-game-...-hunting-field

RyanR and Grouse&Hare like this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page