Proposed changes for 2018/19 Pheasant hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
dap

Proposed changes for 2018/19 Pheasant hunting

The PGC Board of Commissioners gave preliminary approval to the following changes related to Pheasant hunting in 2018/19.

- Require junior hunters to have a pheasant stamp, but there is no cost for it

- Dissolve the Somerset WPRA

- exempt from pheasant permit individuals currently exempted from licensure by statute (My note: I have no idea who this means. I thought everyone was required to obtain a license, though many are "free" except for the $2.90 processing fee).

- allow privately acquired pheasants to be hunted and killed on private property without requirement of a pheasant permit. Private land pheasant hunters don't need a pheasant stamp if they stock their own land and the birds are banded, tagged, marked or receipted.

- Open WMU 2a, 2c, 4c and 5b to both hen and rooster hunting. The only remaining rooster only WMUS will be 4E and 5a (because of WPRA's)
OAWC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 AM

I mostly agree with the changes.

I believe that they should charge a dollar or two for the jr. permit though. Giving them out for free will side the numbers since lots of people will get one and never participate. I would assume the reason for requiring the permit is to gauge junior participation.
bad primer and OAWC like this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 AM
dce
Sage

I'm a proponent of the pheasant stamp but think it makes sense to only require it where the state actually stocks birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Regular Visitor

not sure what the exemption one means... but i got no problemo with any of that.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Catch View Post
I mostly agree with the changes.

I believe that they should charge a dollar or two for the jr. permit though. Giving them out for free will side the numbers since lots of people will get one and never participate. I would assume the reason for requiring the permit is to gauge junior participation.

A free permit will inflate the number. All a license agent has to do is ask if the buyer wants a free pheasant permit. Who will turn it down?...LOL.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
The PGC Board of Commissioners gave preliminary approval to the following changes related to Pheasant hunting in 2018/19.

- Require junior hunters to have a pheasant stamp, but there is no cost for it

- Dissolve the Somerset WPRA

- exempt from pheasant permit individuals currently exempted from licensure by statute (My note: I have no idea who this means. I thought everyone was required to obtain a license, though many are "free" except for the $2.90 processing fee).

- allow privately acquired pheasants to be hunted and killed on private property without requirement of a pheasant permit. Private land pheasant hunters don't need a pheasant stamp if they stock their own land and the birds are banded, tagged, marked or receipted.

- Open WMU 2a, 2c, 4c and 5b to both hen and rooster hunting. The only remaining rooster only WMUS will be 4E and 5a (because of WPRA's)
Farmers who make their primary primary source of income from farming and their immediate family members may hunt their farms without a hunting license.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:

- exempt from pheasant permit individuals currently exempted from licensure by statute
I'm curious if this pheasant stamp exemption includes lifetime license holders.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
A free permit will inflate the number. All a license agent has to do is ask if the buyer wants a free pheasant permit. Who will turn it down?...LOL.

Then the PGC will issue a statement showing that 89% of juniors start out hunting pheasants.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I'm curious if this pheasant stamp exemption includes lifetime license holders.
Since lifetime license holders are not exempt from licensure , I would think they would still have to buy the stamp. I guess we will have to wait and see.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Would junior hunters pay an issuing fee....( $1.90 ) ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page