No Post Christmas grouse season -2018/19 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
dap

No Post Christmas grouse season -2018/19

Lisa Williams, the PGC grouse biologist recommended that there be no post Christmas grouse hunting for the 2018/19 license year. She is also suggesting that the state be split into North and South WMU's, with possible differing season lengths. The North zone would comprise WMU's 1B, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B and 3C.

Going forward, the season lengths will be based on 3 factors.
- PGC grouse cooperator flush rate data
- Forest Cooperator Brood surveys
- WNV surveillance (and prevalence)

In "good" year for the above 3 factors, there would be 4 weeks post Christmas. In an "average" year, 1 week after Christmas. In a "poor" year, no post Christmas season.

The Grouse biologist's presentation to the PGC Board of Commissions meeting can be viewed as the first 18 minutes of the following video:

Last edited by dap; 01-31-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Fixed typo (1B is north, not 2B)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM
The Man

There will never be an extended season in the south zone again. Chances in the north zone are once in every 50 years.

I was ROFLMAO when the one clown commissioner asked about spraying to slow WNV. It would be far cheaper to hire 10 foresters to mark trees for timbering and we'd be far ahead for many years with improved habitat. And to think these are the people who get to approve all the agency decisions.
jimbridger, RyanR and PBR like this.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
There will never be an extended season in the south zone again.
I agree that using the parameters she showed, the southern management zone will not see post Christmas hunting. Two things though that I think are possible.

1) There could be other WMU's included in the north zone (and lobbying in the form of emails to the BOC and the grouse biologist may help).
2) If there is no population recovery after a certain period of time, the PGC may realize that hunting mortality is not additive and restore the post Christmas season (as she referenced at the 10:19 mark of the presentation).
RyanR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
I agree that using the parameters she showed, the southern management zone will not see post Christmas hunting. Two things though that I think are possible.

1) There could be other WMU's included in the north zone (and lobbying in the form of emails to the BOC and the grouse biologist may help).
2) If there is no population recovery after a certain period of time, the PGC may realize that hunting mortality is not additive and restore the post Christmas season (as she referenced at the 10:19 mark of the presentation).
Did they say that hunting was additive? I think the stand last year was that it was not but every little bit helps. Waugh!

Ya lets spray and kill all the bugs so the birds starve to death. Wow.
RyanR likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Did they say that hunting was additive? I think the stand last year was that it was not but every little bit helps. Waugh!
She did not say that hunting was additive. The reason given for closing the late season was that a higher percentage of the harvest adult birds.

My note: I don't really understand that reasoning, since all grouse are sexually mature and able to breed in the spring.
jimbridger likes this.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

This comes as no surprise, it's what we've been saying !
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
She did not say that hunting was additive. The reason given for closing the late season was that a higher percentage of the harvest is adult birds.

My note: I don't really understand that reasoning, since all grouse are sexually mature and able to breed in the spring.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:54 PM

What a sickening dog and pony show. How much are they spending to fund grouse/WNV research and habitat improvement (not to mention the disappearing bat species that fall under the PGC stewardship) versus the unfunded stocking of non-native pheasants? Despicable decison making and negligent wildlife stewardship.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 PM

She says they are starting to gather the data to know where specifically the virus is hitting hard versus where it has a lesser impact. Well, bravo, that is disease management 101... why not close the season entirely in high impact areas? Is that so difficult to figure out?
GhostCoon likes this.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

She said 72% percent of the people that took the time to write her supported the closer of the late season .
GhostCoon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page