5Likes
  • 2 Post By huntined
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 2 Post By cmrosko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

upland road trip

I'm pretty new to upland hunting... this is my first year. Watching a gun dog show got me to thinking about drive-able pheasant hunts. The episode showed a hunt in KS (18 hour drive from me... way too far for a casual road trip). I found a map that'll draw a radius circle around a point and one that'll draw a drive time radius.

Most of the states "known" for pheasant hunting are hike from western PA.

Are there any locations outside of PA within approximately an 8 hour/500 mile drive from Pittsburgh area that are worth the effort for a pheasant/wild pheasant hunt? I realize that's kind of a vague question but I was hoping to spark a conversation on a slow rainy day at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 hour drive.JPG (113.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 500 mile radius.JPG (137.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 PM

If you are looking for a wild pheasant hunt in Pennsylvania you are out of luck.

But, if you are just looking for good pheasant hunting there are many places within a couple hours’ drive that have some excellent pheasant hunting. I had 245 pheasant up over my dog while hunting public land in the local area this fall.

I know a couple who went to South Dakota to hunt wild pheasants on their honeymoon a few year ago. After two days they came back to hunt on our local game lands. They said the pheasant hunting was much better here.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

thanks dick

i'm learning my way around areas local to home and camp, but i was looking outside of pa within an 8ish hour drive.

a worthy road trip hunt that doesn't require driving to kansas or south dakota. the answer might be... that doesn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Check into Iowa. I went in 2008 with 2 buddies and had a great time. We rented an old farmhouse in Northeastern part of the state that had 60 acres and other than hunting around the house a few times we hunted public land. It worked out to be under $700 a person for the entire trip everything included for a week long trip. It may be a little higher today due to the increased price of gas. If I remember the trip was about 17hrs for us from Southeast PA but we were not in that much of a hurry and took our time getting out there. From Pittsburgh you can shave off 5 to 6 hours drive time. Still above your 8 hour drive but not too much more. I can provide the info for the place we stayed if you are interested.
wayneo73 and Woods walker like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Sage

I agree, Iowa is closer and would be a good choice.
bigguy54 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd probably choose western Iowa as the closest best bet for wild birds though I've read that over the past 5 to 10 years Iowa has also seen a dramatic decline in pheasant numbers due to changes in AG practices.

Check out this pheasant hunting in Montana, really makes me want to relocate;
bigguy54 and wayneo73 like this.

Last edited by cmrosko; 01-23-2018 at 10:04 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntined View Post
Check into Iowa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I agree, Iowa is closer and would be a good choice.
THAT'S what i was looking for. Thanks to both of you!

I did read that western Iowa was the better side of the state but the eastern side should be under a 10 hour drive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hard to beat South Dakota I have been out there 8 times,numbers down a bit the last few years but still awesome hunting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page