Pellet Gun safety zone - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Pellet Gun safety zone

Maybe i am just blind but i cant find what the safety zone is for using a pellet gun. I wasnt sure if it is considered a firearm where you have to be 150 yards away. Thanks

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Sage

There are two safety zone distances, one for archery and one for guns, pellet guns are guns so it is 150 yards.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks i was double checking since a pellet gun doesn't use gunpowder i thought it would be different.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Sage

With the various power of air rifles, some pretty powerful it would b pretty hard I think for them to shorten the safety zone. That and people just see a rifle and don't know it is an air rifle that the WCOs would be getting called out for nothing for safety zone violations if they shortened it for air guns. With the new more powerful crossbows such as the Raven and others following they may at some point have to deal with that and increase the safety zone.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 01-18-2018 at 07:08 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM
dap

The 150 yard safety zone is quite interesting. I'm honestly not sure of it's purpose. I'm guessing it was originally put in place when small game was "king" in PA. At that time it may have served 3 primary purposes.
1. If small game shotgun pellets were to hit a building or even a person at 150 yards they wouldn't do any damage (vs say 50 yards).
2. The noise factor of hearing a shotgun at 50 vs 150 yards
3. People didn't like other folks stomping around too close to their house or barn. (But if they don't own the land within the safety zone, should it matter?).

The 150 yard safety zone as it relates to a (gunpowder) rifle only addresses #3.

As for Archery - noise isn't a factor, and most people aren't "stomping around" when archery hunting. As for potential injury, if I ever was hit, I'd prefer it be a pellet from an air rifle at 50 yards rather than a broadhead from archery at the same distance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage

Dap, yes it should matter if a person doesn't own the land. The safety zone is for the protection of buildings and occupants, who owns the land the hunters are on does not matter. If John Doe lives in a home and distance of the home is 10 yards from farmer Brown's field, I am sure you don't believe Farmer Brown or his guests should be able to hunt right up to John Doe's yard. Land ownership doesn't matter at all. If I own a farm and I rent the house to someone else, I still have to respect the safety zone of the tenants even though I own the house and out building the tenants use, unless the tenants grant permission to hunt closer than the safety zone. I don't know how many people know it but it is unlawful to shoot through a safety zone even if the hunter is outside the safety zone when the trigger is pulled. Even with shotguns with the ammunition we have today compared to the ammo that was available when the safety zone law was initiated 150 yards probably is not far enough to prevent injury or damage depending on the size of the shot.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM

i don't think any of the 3 options addresses gunpowder rifle

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The way the law is written in PA Code Title 34 (the digest is just a summary of Title 34 ) the safety zone in PA is 150 yards for all weapons except noted exceptions. Bows and crossbows are the only noted exceptions in Title 34. Hence air guns - 150 yards.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM
The Man

"respect zone"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
dap

I understand what the law is with regard to safety zones, and I most certainly obey it. I'm guessing at why it was originally created and questioning if it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The safety zone is for the protection of buildings and occupants.
How does the 150 yard safety zone afford protection from a rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
If John Doe lives in a home and distance of the home is 10 yards from farmer Brown's field, I am sure you don't believe Farmer Brown or his guests should be able to hunt right up to John Doe's yard.
Farmer Brown has owned his land for the past 50 years and has been very successful killing deer in rifle season in a nice funnel near the edge of his property. Alas, his long time neighbor Farmer Black just died and the family split up his land and sold a parcel to John Doe. John built his house in the middle of his new one acre property, but put a shed 10 yards from his property line. Poor old Farmer Brown can no longer hunt the best spot on his property. Even if Farmer Brown sits in the middle of his property, 150 yards from Mr. Doe's shed, he can't shoot to his left, because any deer would be in the safety zone.

Last edited by dap; 01-19-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page