Would a 20ga. cyl. bore semi be usefull for birds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Would a 20ga. cyl. bore semi be usefull for birds

I am wanting some opinions of Grouse hunters on here before I make a decision. I have a nice Franchi 48 semi in 20 ga. that I dont shoot very often or hunt with at all. It is a beautiful gun and has some nice wood. An older one I think. The original barrel was cut and had a poly choke installed probably since new. I never liked the poly choke. It always pointed like it had a tennis ball attached to the end of the barrel to me. I recently picked up an original length 28" barrel choked modified. I wouldnt try to hunt it unless I opened it up a bit. The other thought I had would be to cut the barrel behind the choke and have it cyl bore. I have a 12 ga. o/u with the under barrel bored cyl but always have some choke in my second shot. Would a single barreled gun do well in your opinion? I am thinking yes but want to hear what some of you have to say. I prefer long barrels on light guns so would probably leave it as long as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Sage

Re: Would a 20ga. cyl. bore semi be usefull for birds

At one time all shotguns were cylinder bore, then chokes came into play, or regulation as it is called in Briton and Europe. Chokes cause deformation of shot with older ammo that didn't have plastic cup shot wads. With todays modern ammo you are shooting at least one choke size tighter than what your choke is and a lot of people over choke themselves and handicap themselves. With modern ammo a cylinder bore will be just fine for grouse and any bird over pointing dogs. Again, long barrels were the result of black powder that burned slower than smokeless powder, with modern ammo 30 inch and longer barrels make no sense for hunting purposes..

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

John,
Thanks for your response. I agree with you that the cyl bore is plenty affective for Grouse. My two hunting guns both have cyl bore in the first barrel. This is the only singled barrel gun I own. Dont use semis or pumps much. I guess I was trying to ask if it would be wise for this particular gun. Kinda answered my own question and didnt mean to sound naive but was looking for others inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage

You didn't sound naive, it was a reasonable question.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Part of the Community

Send the 28 in to Carlson for choke tubes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I guess that would be an option to. I prefer fixed chokes tho and have a tighter choked sxs for bunnies and cockbirds in the south of PA. The more I think about it, I might just cut the barrel off. I do get alot of close flushes, especially in the early part of the season. This is one of those guns in my rotating collection I could never get rid of. If I get a bird with it this year Ill post some pics.
James
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Part of the Community

I would suggest using the original barrel that is already cut. John S is 100% correct with his statement on modern shells. Pattern the gun if you have any doubts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would have it modified for choke tubes. Then you could use it for anything down the road.

G
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Buy spreader loads.

How long is the barrel with the polychoke. Can you cut it off and have it still be long enough to suit you?

Can you sell that modified barrel and put a new barrel on from Franchi?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

The barrel with the poly choke was cut back to somewhere about 26". Nice barrel if thats what you like. Also has a raised rib. Maybe I will sell that one. The mod barrel has no rib. The more I think about it I might cut it behind the choke and thread in a new front bead. Should be a good shooter I think. I was just thinking about having one barrel and it being wide open. Been done before I suppose by other bird hunters with much success.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page