My Pa Hare Hunting Experience - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

My Pa Hare Hunting Experience

Made it out hare hunting the first day of the season. This was only my second time hunting hare. The first time was back in 2006. This season my son and I headed north and tried it again. Didn't get anything or even see one, but I had a good time. We saw some beautiful country and even saw some fresh tracks. My beagle ran a couple but they never made a full circle. One was on it's way back, but then she must of lost it. She isn't quite a year and a half old yet and this was her first experience with hare. She is getting used to cottontail, but I think she had some trouble with the distance between those hare tracks. I was hoping to get out another day or so, but it didn't work out. I still enjoyed just being out there with my son and having the dog actually get to run one.

Also, I was surprised how fast she got out of hearing while trailing. Made me a little nervous being in unfamiliar territory and so far from home. I wasn't sure how I would find her if she got lost. So, I pulled the trigger and bought a track and train collar. I have only tried it once around home on bunnies, but it seems to work fairly well. It will be better once I get all the features figured out.

Took a couple pics and short video of some tracks we saw. Probably not very exciting to a lot of folks, but considering I never saw any in the wild before I was pretty happy about seeing them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkp55s5xqf...20cut.wmv?dl=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hare tracks.jpg (843.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Hare tracks 3.jpg (555.7 KB, 16 views)
R. S. B., jimbridger and RyanR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think it's a great post. It brings me back to when I first started chasing them. Careful, they can be addictive.
jimbridger likes this.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's awesome that you got out after them. I have the same pictures in my photo album when I went to NY a few years ago. Just finding tracks in the snow was exciting to me. Lawdog is right about it be addictive, all training season I found myself running snowshoes instead of cottontails.
jimbridger and dietsch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM
The Man

Keep at it, you'll eventually get one to come around for a kill.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Syd
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlane35 View Post
That's awesome that you got out after them. I have the same pictures in my photo album when I went to NY a few years ago. Just finding tracks in the snow was exciting to me. Lawdog is right about it be addictive, all training season I found myself running snowshoes instead of cottontails.
Lots more fun running them instead ofcottontail....however if you keep killing them in your running area the fun will end.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Good post...Iíve never seen one in Pa. Iíve always wanted to hunt them, wouldnít matter if I killed one. I saw tons of them in Maine whilebear hunting, but they were still brown. I saw some in November in Newfoundland that were 50/50 white. Iíve never seen an all white hare. In Newfoundland, the locals set snares on the trails in the snow. Youíll see surveyor ribbons everywhere along the roads marking the snare locations. Itís a big deal up there, snaring hares.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM

You may not have harvested a hare but it still sounds like you had a great time outdoors with family. Great post.
jimbridger likes this.

Never Misses
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Lots more fun running them instead ofcottontail....however if you keep killing them in your running area the fun will end.
I said nothing about killing them, but even if I wanted to shoot a few during the season my dogs or I aren't good enough for that.
dietsch likes this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 PM

I am glad you found the right areas to get into some hare activity. Those areas have been good for well over thirty years now and I expect them to remain good for many more years.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:26 AM
Syd
Regular Visitor

[QUOTE=Jlane35;2908498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
I said nothing about killing them, but even if I wanted to shoot a few during the season my dogs or I aren't good enough for that.[/QUOT

Lol.,.you canít lie to me. Rumor has it you buckled under the pressure and hunted the best and easiest training spot around. The old timers that run there posted your picture on the trees to run you out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page