How do I get on the Mailing List... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

How do I get on the Mailing List...

...of the exact place (as in the very parking lot or other access) and day when the PGC stocks pheasants. Evidently there is some such thing because, since I got my Springer, grouse populations collapsed and I got into pheasant hunting, I've seen some things. It was perfectly illustrated Saturday when, the small satellite SGL 270 was heavily stocked and in the time my brother and I were there, a bit over an hour, we saw no fewer than FIVE different vehicles come and go. Now, at the main body of SGL 270 around Lake Wilhelm, there were maybe 3 vehicles total spotted parked as we drove to hunt. One was a truck with a dog box in it. That's it.
This smaller satellite game lands was stocked to the point that 3 cocks and 5 hens were bopping along the road in front of a farmers leaking corn crib. Poor dog was going nuts. Nothing where we were at Wilhelm.

So instead of the birds being spread around at many very easily accessible fields so many people had a chance at a few, they were dumped in a high concentration in one small area that couldn't be hunted by very many people without crowding and a place with no food plots to hold onto the birds that weren't immediately killed. They would reasonably all go over to the corn crib next door or whatever.

Just when I think I can support the Game Commission, they do this, which seems a lot like the financial swindle of 'insider trading'.

If they have a mailing list that I didn't sign up for, I'd like to get in on the action. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ to buy any of the officials or insiders enough hookers and blow to get them to consider me. That's how corruption works, right? Hookers and blow for the men in charge gets you in the door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Geez i only gave them a case of beer and some jerky. Looks like next year ill have to step it up. Maybe the 2d crew are just cheap?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Regular Visitor

i've seen bird hunters up in SGL 270 in the past while fishing at lake wilhelm. i've never been up there to hunt but i'm considering heading up after christmas to give it a shot. the report that the main part of sgl 270 doesn't get many birds... or late birds may have me reconsidering making the 2 hour drive to sgl 270.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Did you even get out of the truck? Sounds like you did more driving then hunting.
quackmaster4 likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Part of the Community

Nice spot burn...Thanks Next time you’ll be posting about how that spot is over run with hunters

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunted another gamelands in the northwest during the regular part of the season and the regulars there said all they do is back up to the gate and dump them out instead of taking them back to the fields.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bea View Post
I hunted another gamelands in the northwest during the regular part of the season and the regulars there said all they do is back up to the gate and dump them out instead of taking them back to the fields.
Had a friend who hunted one of the SGL West of 81 a few weeks ago. Said the truck pulled up to one area, unloaded their birds in that one spot and left. Total stocking time was about 5 minutes. Maybe they were attending Christmas party later that afternoon and needed to scoot.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaturkey View Post
Had a friend who hunted one of the SGL West of 81 a few weeks ago. Said the truck pulled up to one area, unloaded their birds in that one spot and left. Total stocking time was about 5 minutes. Maybe they were attending Christmas party later that afternoon and needed to scoot.
So was your friend following the truck to know they didn't stop anywhere else on this Gamelands?

Here's what I personally know: friends and I just hunted the pre-Christmas stocking on a Gamelands almost 2hrs away. We got there early and hunted a few hours. While back at the truck warming up the stocking truck came down the road and went to another field. Two other guys got in their truck and followed it. They called there other friend still back in the lot where we were and said "they were stocking all the birds up there and that was it." He got in his truck and zipped up the road. We didn't. Less than 5 minutes later the truck came back down the road and released lots of birds near us too. That's not my first experience watching them stock and every time I've seen them make more than one stop along a Gamelands property. Also depending on the property, I've seen them open a gate and drive back into the fields and I've also seen them stock from a road if the gamelands are on both sides of the property. That is what they did on the public dirt road that cut thru this particular Gamelands.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM

I've seen both ...
meaning , I've seen the trucks carefully releasing birds throughout a game land
and
I've also seen a truck pull off a heavily travelled public road in a stocking area and dump the whole load.
it was one of the craziest things I've seen
i'm driving down the road and it looked like seagulls scared off a parking lot .
I looked out my passenger window and had 2 roosters racing me down the road.
cars were skidding off onto the shoulder as the drivers whipped out cell phones.

it was ugly

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianahunter View Post
Geez i only gave them a case of beer and some jerky. Looks like next year ill have to step it up. Maybe the 2d crew are just cheap?
Maybe I just saw "Wolf of Wall Street" and it influenced my thinking. I bet it'd work, though. Probably more economical just to buy my own birds or join a club for the price of hookers and blow. However, this is NW PA, so the hookers shouldn't be that expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page