A poor day, a great day and a soaking wet day! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A poor day, a great day and a soaking wet day!

The dogs and I got out hunting the last 3 days. Thursday, we started out in the pheasant fields mostly to burn my pup out because Friday I was taking a road trip to a SGL with a few other guys and 4 dogs so I didn't know how much work she'd get. No pheasants early and then we went for grouse. Saw one bird fly across thread on the way in and that was it.

Friday my day started early, up at 5:30 and got to my buddy's house and we loaded my dogs and one of his (my pup's mother) into his truck & were on the road by 7AM. Picked up the next guy, his ypungbson and their shorthair and we headed north. Encountered treacherous icy roads but made it to the SGL for a planned full day of pheasant and grouse hunting. A very cold & frrezing rain start turned into an epic couple hours of dogs pointing and pheasants flying. All 3 of us limited out quickly, 6 hens on 7 shots! We had outstanding dog work too. Put the big dogs up to warm up & grabbed the pup and just worked her without guns and did some tracking drills too. Went into town to warm up and grab lunch. We drove around a bit to show my friend the rest of this Gamelands. Then we closed out the afternoon by rolling the dice and running all 3 adult dogs at once for grouse. We moved at least 5 grouse in 1 hour and 15 minutes! The first two grouse we weren't even 2 minutes or 50 yards from the truck. We didn't fire any shots but it was still a great end to a great day. Regrettably we forgot to take photos like we planned.

The dogs and I slept in a bit this morning before we loaded up and headed out in the rain this morning. Put both dogs on the ground together not expecting much more than a good run for exercise. Hunted pheasants for a couple of wet hours and to my surprise we moved 3 roosters and put another 2 bird limit in the bag. The 2nd bird featured an over 300 yard retrieve by my dog on a bird I thought I hit but watched fly way off into the woods. I couldn't believe it when my dog returned after a few minutes with the rooster proudly held in his mouth. Finished a soaking wet day scratching our way thru a thick, thorn-filled young beech stand but didn't move a bird. As we were hiking back to the vehicle rhe sudden sound if a nearby pack of coyotes got us hustling back with me on a full alert. It also prompted me to call it a day and not run the pup for the last hour of grouse season.

Hope everybody got out, particularly the grouse hunters to close out our now ridiculously shortened season. The dogs & I moved more grouse this year than previous years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 PM

Sounds like you had some good hunting. How old is your pup?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

She's a 6 month old German Wirehaired Pointer. I have a 5yr old male Drahthaar too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Thanks for confirming that we were not the only crazies out in the rain today. We did well too.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page