Gone but never forgotten - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By LostAgain

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Gone but never forgotten

Tom, this last bird of the season is for you. You would have enjoyed the dog work to get this bird pinned.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice touch with the hat in the photo. I enjoyed Tom's knowledge & insight and I had the pleasure of randomly meeting him on Catawissa Mountain while I was just getting back to my truck from grouse hunting with my then young Drahthaar. This was the January before he passed. I saw Knob Mountain Kennels on his truck door as he was driving back down the mountain and I flagged him down to ask him about maybe getting my dog in his wild bird program. He asked how we did and seemed impressed and a bit surprised when I told him we moved several grouse. I was floored when he asked if I had time to follow him to one of his training grounds. He went off a distance & put out a chukar or two and then had me release my dog to hunt 'em up. Afterwards he nodded affirmatively and simply said "I'll work this dog." Sadly, he passed only a few months later.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 PM

I really miss Tom also. 4.5 years ago, Tom gave me my little setter Hanna and this year we had our best year ever for grouse. I spent a lot of time driving up to Bloomsburg for a year, almost every week! When she was finally ready, Tom came up to my cabin to see her first hand in the grouse woods. He was truly amazed at her ability and couldn't believe the amount of birds we had seen in the time we were out. He was really proud of her! Hanna came from Tom's setter Riley, and a female from West Virginia. Tom really liked the area of my camp and had talked to me about bringing his string up there for a month or so in late summer/early fall to run them on grouse but he got sick again and passed before we could make it happen.

I think of Tom often, especially in the fall when Hanna finds me another grouse. I look up and see him smiling down with a nod of approval!! I miss you buddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 AM
Part of the Community

A fitting end of the season for you. You've had a pretty good one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Fantastic posts gents. I didnít know Tom but he sounds like a special person. Really warmed my heart to read.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:11 AM

Great way to remember your friend.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 AM
The Man

Tom sounds like one in a million type of guy. You guys were fortunate to have known him.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Really nice tribute Jeff. I'd leave Mabel with Tom when we went away for the winter and he'd run her on spring woodcock. Hunted with him a number of times. We were going to head for Maryland for a few days to run dogs on woodcock the spring before he passed. He got busy and I got busy and we decided we'd do it "next year". Good man!!

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page