Cock bird only hunting. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cock bird only hunting.

Is it time to do away with this archaic law? There are no wild pheasants in the state to protect by this law.
We are raising both hens and cocks so why not open the whole state up to either sex. The hope that the remaining cock birds will breed with hens is a pipe dream. The state doesn't even stock hens in the cock bird only areas so that a lucky survivor could breed. Don't even go down the road about the hard winters in the northern part of the state. One of the Canadian Maritime provinces has great native pheasant hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:14 PM

No, the time was 5 years ago.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Sage

Really? What does it matter? This is what happens after the hunting season slows down, people gin up things to complain about.
DIYASUB and BRN2RUN like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Really? What does it matter? This is what happens after the hunting season slows down, people gin up things to complain about.
You're right and it's only going to get worse now that the grouse slobs will soon have nothing to do!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Do they still stock hens in the spring?

TENPT
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
You're right and it's only going to get worse now that the grouse slobs will soon have nothing to do!
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. But nothing to do?

1. Just because I cant carry a gun doesnt mean I won't be out with the dogs looking for grouse and keeping them happy and in shape
2. I have a list of new covers to explore.
3. Pup needs work on both grouse and planted birds. I got neighborhood kids that love to hunt and will be glad to assist in training when working with poultry.
4. Dec 26 is a hare hunt
5. A neighbor stopped by on Sunday to let me know he'll be out most Saturdays if I want to go rabbit hunting.
6. There is still NY if the snows dont get to deep.
7. About the time hunting seasons end, woodcock will move back north.
8. There are trips to the cabin to get a head start on work that needs done and upgrades I want to do.
9. Squirrel pot pie.

Yup there is plenty to do after this weekend, no need to sit around until next October waiting for the arrival of the happy truck.
DIYASUB and srr5008 like this.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not complaining John, just trying to have an intelligent discussion amongst the Cro-Magnon readers.
Really grouse snobs! Ginned up complaints!
Yes TENPT, they have stocked some hens in the spring, burnt out breeders. Have trained dogs on them, most could not fly well.
I do not think they will do it again as they do not hatch the eggs anymore.
Have fun without your gun, Jeff.
Thanks Indianahunter for your civil response.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:47 PM

as Grouse28 stated a Canadian province has great native pheasant hunting, there are some U.S. States that have great native pheasant as well, why dont we ? habitat ? then improve it. farm the gamelands, some do, some do not, farm all of them.

do some extensive exploration and find out why they have great native populations and we do not. to many predators ? lift those silly restrictions. shoot the darn things when you see them with whatever weapon you are hunting with. lets get our act together, pull our heads out of the sand and step into the future. its time Pennsylvania quit being so dang dumb.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
as Grouse28 stated a Canadian province has great native pheasant hunting, there are some U.S. States that have great native pheasant as well, why dont we ? habitat ? then improve it. farm the gamelands, some do, some do not, farm all of them.

do some extensive exploration and find out why they have great native populations and we do not. to many predators ? lift those silly restrictions. shoot the darn things when you see them with whatever weapon you are hunting with. lets get our act together, pull our heads out of the sand and step into the future. its time Pennsylvania quit being so dang dumb.
No pheasant is native on this continent
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 PM
Part of the Community

I could be wrong, but I believe they mainly/only stock cock birds in the cock bird only hunting areas. In fact, if I remember correctly, some counties are listed as stocking 0 hens for the whole season on the PGC website that are located in these WMU. So what you are saying makes sense. Opening up the whole state to hen or cock bird harvest would just enable the game commission to buy male or female pheasants to stock at all locations. I would guess that this move could be more cost effective for the pheasant program. I have never hunted one of the cock bird only locations, but from a hunting standpoint I could see why some may want to keep it traditional male only harvest so they will see more cock birds in those locations vs. seeing both hens and cock birds as it is throughout the rest of the state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page