Rain may be hard on this year pheasants and turks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rain may be hard on this year pheasants and turks

Here is a link from a local paper concerning the wet spring and its effect on turkeys and poults. Pheasants are in the same family as turkeys. We had hoped to get higher crowing count numbers this spring as some of our flushing survey areas had double the birds as last year. This may be an answer but we'll have to wait to next year for sure.

http://www.timesleader.com/sports/outdoo...06-05-2011.html

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rain may be hard on this year pheasants and turks

Lynn,
I can see were rain would have an effect on nesting success,but I don't think it would effect the crowing counts that much.What do you think?

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Sage

Of course it shouldn't. Winter would have more of an effect than a wet spring. The wet weather will effect this falls crop of turkeys, grouse and pheasants, along with other nesting birds.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

This past winter was harsh with a lot of deep snow that probably aided in grouse survival. Turkeys and pheasant probably were hurt from the tough winter. Grouse actually thrive in it. Think of where the best grouse destinations are in North America...the upper midwest (Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin) as well as Canada where their winters are much tougher and the snow is much deeper than PA. The lack of snow during a winter, I believe, can actually hurt winter survival. A cold wet spring, on the other hand, I believe can hurt all three species. In my opinion, this has been a great spring so far for grouse production since all the rain came when the birds were either breeding or nesting. Since the last week of May until now and probably the next few weeks (when the majority of grouse poults are hatching) the weather has been near perfect for them. I am predicting a good grouse hatch, although I will admit I am usually overly optimistic.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDBRED
Lynn,
I can see were rain would have an effect on nesting success,but I don't think it would effect the crowing counts that much.What do you think?
I don't really know. How do you know if something is there if the way you know it's there is by it's crowing and it doesn't crow? Based on the article on the turkey gobbling, it has me thinking there may be something to it as turkeys and pheasants are closely related birds. How much would you be interested in love making if it rained on you every day? Ok, I forgot who I was talking to. How much would a normal person be interested?

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM

The ice and heavily crusted snow was a big factor. Four or five weeks of that stuff was hard on everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page