Tipping bird cleaners / Hunting preserve - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Tipping bird cleaners / Hunting preserve

So, for Christmas last year, I got myself and my uncle gift certificates for a day of hunting at Martzs. Thirty years ago, it was my uncle who found the time to take me hunting, we are still hunting buds every fall, and it seemed like a nice way to thank him.
When I mentioned the hunt to him, the first thing he said was " they clean your birds for you there"
I never really thought about paying someone to clean my birds, but if thats what he wants, I'm good with it. I think there is a nominal fee per bird, like $3 or $4 per bird. But, should I tip the person who is actualy cleaning the birds? What is a reasonable/good tip?

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Tipping bird cleaners / Hunting preserve

when I went on a guided bird hunt, the guide provided his dog, at the end it was just me and 3 guys we all pitched in $20 each, we tipped the guide $80.... however they offered to clean the birds, really they will rip the breast off bird, quick clean.... they probably won't take time pluck or skin the whole bird.... so cleaning is quick.... I do my own, on another note When I got home, I gutted all the birds out.... i had over 25 birds to clean.... I did 6 of them the day I got home.... the rest I put in fridge cold next day I cleaned 10 or dozen of them..... day after that I finished them all......

Take a kid hunting as much as you can!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM

When Martz's cleans your birds they pluck and gut them and bag them up. They do a real nice job and they look like they just got pulled from a line in a poultry cleaning facility.
I ALWAYS tip the bird cleaners at Martz's and it is about 1 or 2 dollars per bird. For me it is well worth the money to have them done. I also tip my guide/bird setter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the information, a $2.00 tip per bird seems very resonable........

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i work at a local pheasent hunting farm and generaly i do not get a tip but i do it for fun im usualy out with the guys in the field helping to retrieve the bird or help the guy who runs it with odds and ends on the farm with taking care of the birds and stocking them and the way we clean them is we put a piece of plkywood on the ground and i lay the bird facing him breast side down he grabs ahold of the wings and fans them out i then step on both sides right were the wing meets the body he then reaches through my leg and hands me the hind legs and all you have to do is pull straight up it will sepperate the breast from the leggs and head then just with pruning sheers cut the spine off at the hips and use just a regular knife to cut the tail off i dont wear gloves to clean them so i end up with a little mess but you dont need to pluck them but you might want to wear mechanics gloves when you pull up on the bird or the spurs will cut ur hand i wish i had some pictures to post on here but its pretty simple and keeps the mess down to a minimum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page