Had an amazing time at On Point - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Had an amazing time at On Point

Member Maul on here treated the groomsman from his wedding to a bird hunt at On point this weekend. It was a long one hour and forty minute drive to get down there but it was well worth the trip.

We signed in and hit the fields. We had a pretty large hunting party and were appointed a corner section of the property. We hit the fields and all of us including the dogs were on turbo mode. We hit the first two rows of crp and sorgum and had dogs and birds going everywhere. We put down on chucker. At the end of that row we all realized that we need to get a grip on our excitement and get into the zone.

Maul put up an awesome longer shot on a pheasant to really set the tone for the rest of the day. We had awesome dog work with 2 GSP, and English Setters, and Lilly.

We hit up a small section of standing corn. This was an awesome moment to experience. All I could see were dogs zipping back and fourth, saw a pheasant running on the ground. Just almost like Tunnel Vision. At the end we put up a pheasant and a chucker, and one my buddies put down the bird. We worked a few more strips and set up to hit up another corner of standing corn.

Lilly was in front of me and flushed a rooster. I was on the inside edge of the corn and my friend Keith was on the wind row. We both pulled up and hesitated for the other two shoot but both shot at the same time. I felt that i had downed the bird, and Keith said I shot it, but unsure we chalked it up as a tag team.

We worked a few more rows, and bagged a bird or two and hit up another piece of standing corn. This nearly turned into a European style hunt as my friend Keith, the wounded war vet who lost an arm and leg in Iraq, Had bird erupting out of the corn like crazy and put down a rooster. We had bird going all around us but only one bird was taken from the corn. The dogs were focusing on the birds in the corn and it took us a few moments to find this bird. Lilly ended up tracking it down.

We worked a nice flat section of field and I got to witness Lilly pick up the scent of a chucker who buried itself in the crp. She flush the bird out right to Keith who added another bird to the bag.

We worked the bottom end of the fields and worked our way back up to where the corn was. We had a pointer lock up in front of a buddy of mine. Lilly was out in front of me so my friend flushed the bird. It flew in front of me and I put a picture perfect shot on the bird. It felt awesome to finally have it all come together. I was estatic as this was my first pheasant and an awesome shot at that.

We continued up the rows and bagged a few more birds. We were all getting tired and I could tell that Lilly was getting a bit tired. We decided we would take the field up one more time. Some of the guys were admittedly lazy on this one, but after my great shot, I wanted to put one more bird in my bag. I hit up the tallest section of CRP and called Lilly over to me, who was joining in with the loafers. I was the end guy on the left side of the group, and had the whole left side of the field to my self.

I was walking in the CRP and heard Lilly pop up a Rooster. I pulled up, mounted and just watched the bird. I missed on the first shot, in which I felt I shot behind the bird too soon, but just kept my eye on the bird swung through and totally dumped him at about 35 yards. The 7.5 shot AA's just flat out crushed him with the modified choke. Lilly and I ran over and celebrated this bird, with the cheers of my hunting party ringing out in the field. With my one buddy saying "Dead Eye!!"

Gave me a little confidence boost. We had one guy in our party who had not gotten a bird. A buddy of mine and I had the same idea to work the section that we all blew through out of the gates. We took our birdless friend, and grabbed Lilly and his 2 GSPS. We worked the field and just at the end of the row with maybe 5 yards left, his GSP "Mongo" locked up. I told my buddy to get Lilly to flush but the rooster was on edge and popped out. My buddy blasted the rooster, and we all cheered.

We all got a bird, and had one of the most memorable hunts. Lots of birds, lots of laughs and cheers. The dog work was just flat out awesome, and I was very happy with how Lilly handled herself. She kept up with the pointers all day, and flushed a few birds on her own. I got my first pheasant and had 2 great shots that will be with me forever.

I can not say enough about the property. Many different types of cover to hold birds. I loved the standing corn, where many of the "left over" birds would hang out. All of the birds were strong flyers. We had bird burry themselves, birds run, birds flush ahead of us, just about ever kind of scenario you could hope for.

My hats are off to the dogs, and without them we would not have had such an amazing day.

Lilly, Cloud & Hank (English Setters), Nudge & Mongo (GSP's) all worked their butts off for us. Words can explain how much these dogs got out of this hunt. I know for a fact how much Lilly grew with pinning birds, and not trying to hunt for me alone, she just hunted birds.

I apologize for the long read but it was just one of those great hunts that will be with you for ever. I am not converted from grouse, but those pheasants really get the blood going,... and I can actually hit them

We ended up with 15 pheasants and 6 chuckars.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Re: Had an amazing time at On Point

Awesome!
Enjoyed the read, good job everyone!

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Sage

Re: Had an amazing time at On Point

wmu 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page