The Tradition! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Tradition!

Yesterday I ran into a group of hunters from Virginia that were out pheasant hunting. Three generations of hunters all here to go after what they called the "King" of game birds. When I asked them why they come such a long way to hunt pheasants here they told me because it's a tradition!

I would like to thank the Game Commission for keeping this tradition alive and well! I have never seen more pheasant hunters than I have seen this year. Seeing license plates from New Jersey, New York, and Maryland is common for me and my buddies. I know of people from Ohio, Virginia, and as far as North Carolina that come here to go pheasant hunting. That's impressive and proof that all the hard work you have done to improve the quality of pheasant hunting here is working. Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Tradition!

It seems like I've seen more pheasant hunters this year than in recent years and I too have noticed a lot of out of state hunters. Good Post and yes I too would like to thank the PGC.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM

I also see many out of state hunters. If I get to the gamelands during the week the vast majority of cars are from out of state. Mostly Va, MD or DC. They all enjoy hunting pheasants in PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm a Virginia boy who tried out pheasant hunting in the great state of Pa for the first time last week. Didn't get anything but the dog and I flushed a couple and a had a good time talking to the Pa folks who were hunting also. Was interesting. I saw 5 different breeds out there chasing the King to include a Basset Hound of all things. Also a lab, a golden retriever a setter and a spaniel. Was fun to see all the different dogs and the folks having fun. The couple of birds I saw sure flew good.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

C'mon now, I like hunting pheasants too (heck, the dog & I even found 11 today, a Sunday) but there's only one real King of game birds, the Ruffed Grouse.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR
C'mon now, I like hunting pheasants too (heck, the dog & I even found 11 today, a Sunday) but there's only one real King of game birds, the Ruffed Grouse.
x100%
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwire
I also see many out of state hunters. If I get to the gamelands during the week the vast majority of cars are from out of state. Mostly Va, MD or DC. They all enjoy hunting pheasants in PA.
That's amazing how many people are willing to travel to pheasant hunt!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well... one thing is for sure, The Tradition is live and well in Pa., and the PGC deserves a lot of credit. There are only a few states with more pheasants hunters than Pa. and the vast majority of hunters in Pa, support the program. I have witnessed the same thing with out of state hunters buying licenses to hunt ringnecks. For many it's a way to get in on some upland hunting without traveling to the Mid-West. Add the grouse and woodcock to the mix and you can understand why they are coming.We are very lucky to have a Game Commission that understands the small game hunter. Thank You PGC!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
New Arrival

Man, thatís a relief I thought us out-of-towners were looked down upon. All joking aside, being only 45 minutes away has allowed me to introduce my ten year old son to pheasant hunting. For the last two years Iíve taken him up to the game lands for the youth hunt. We usually hunt part of the morning and then go to a little diner/restaurant and have a big breakfast. While we didnít get any birds he looks forward to it. Hopefully it will continue.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just imagine the out of state hunters that would come if the PGC was more committed to improving habitat and creating hunting opportunities for our native game birds. With the right efforts and focus our state could be a destination state. Not that I'd like to see more traffic in the uplands, but the potential is there.

The hawks are killing everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page