Grouse Decline? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Grouse Decline?

I have been experiencing a shortage of grouse for several years now. If anything, the habitat kooks better than it used to. I'm hunting along Blue Mountain so that is kind if on the fringe of their range. I concerns me that they may go the way of quail and wild pheasants in this region. Anyone else experiencing a decline over the past 8-10 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Re: Grouse Decline?

Grouse go thru population cycles. They may be in the low cycle now. I don't hunt them so maybe someone that hunts would know. I did see a hen this year with 7 young about half grown on our property.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:56 PM
The Man

Grouse do go through cycles.

However, in my corner of 2D the cycle has been down for 20 years or more.

I have done everything in my control on my property to enhance the grouse cover. But to ZERO avail.

I'd rather believe a mt. lion or squatch sighting before a grouse sighting.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM

There is a cycle to grouse populations in the north country but not this far south (Pa). I'd guess the general decline is more a product of poor/lack of good habitat through out the bird's traditional range within the state.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingshot
There is a cycle to grouse populations in the north country but not this far south (Pa). I'd guess the general decline is more a product of poor/lack of good habitat through out the bird's traditional range within the state.
I think you're right. There's been a push in creating more habitat (ie. timbering, controlled burns, etc) in this area and even more is planned but it will take some time for populations to appreciably improve.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 PM

As with pheasants, habitat will not be enough to compensate for the high uncontrolled hawk and owl numbers. Out west in areas where wolves have greatly reduced elk numbers, habitat is not the excuse. Predation is a problem some do not want to recognize with small game numbers. We often have people say it will take time, but just like the pheasants any real comeback is unlikely with high numbers of hawks that are mainly bird eaters like the coopers and sharpshinned hawks. When we have areas that are good habitat but no game then predation may be the problem.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

They do go through population cycles but they are much less pronounced in this region. I tend to think that there is some truth with avian predators. The one grouse I saw this year on our land was a pile of feathers in the field. It was probably a hawk or an owl. Still, there are lots of predators in other states where grouse numbers are good.

I remember reading in Audibon Magazine (I think that was the one) that grouse populations may no longer exist anywhere in the lower 48 by the end of this century due to climate change. I hope this isn't related.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:18 PM

The climate change or as it used to be called in the past global warming is probably not the problem, as the global warming started a long time ago at the end of the ice age.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage
I remember reading in Audibon Magazine (I think that was the one) that grouse populations may no longer exist anywhere in the lower 48 by the end of this century due to climate change. I hope this isn't related.
Audubon and countless others (ALL of which financially back liberal politicians) are doing their dangdest to convince EVERYONE that global warming or global climate change or whatever it is they are calling it this week, is the reason their sky (whatever your sky may be) is falling.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff
The climate change or as it used to be called in the past global warming is probably not the problem, as the global warming started a long time ago at the end of the ice age.
Ummmmm........... uh huh.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page