woodcock, what do they do at night? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

woodcock, what do they do at night?

I took my Brother in Law out yesterday to do some spot lighting and show him a few areas to try and hunt. He is from Florida, and is in for a week to try his hand at archery hunting. I wanted to drive through a field above my house and check to see if the nice 8 point I had seen had made any more rubs and show him where about to set up on the deer.

The area is mainly field and has 2 dirt road trails going through it. It has a pond at the one end and decently moist ground. The cover is mixed with some pines and crp type grass.

We were making our way on the trail in the Escape and I almost ran over a wood cock. I backed up and there was the old doodler himself doing a dance on the trail. I had Lilly with me so I let her out to go flush the bird, for some quick wood cock scent running. She flushed him and got back in. We went up the road a little bit and another bird was on the trial. This time I got out to see how close I could get to him. If I would have had a net I could have caught him.

My question is this. Do you think that the birds are in this area in the daylight hours? I am not picturing this type of cover to be more of a woodcock area but looks like what you would expect with pheasants. I am thinking of giving it a go with the lab and see what we find. ON the one side of the field is a thicket with Japanese knot weed on the edges, and the other slopes down into a pine bottom with a creek bed.

Do you think the birds are in the field during daylight hours, or tucked back into the cover. The field is an old reclaimed strip mine and the grass is maybe 3
high. I am thinking this guy may have been a flight bird. I have heard woodies peenting in this area as well as the lower section of the field in the spring.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: woodcock, what do they do at night?

This is going back some years but I recall killng a few in higher strip mine cover back in college. I'd give it a go and then hits the edges. Good luck if you give it a try!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

On Saturday we were rabbit hunting similar cover all day and had 8 woodcock up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Part of the Community

Wet soil is all they need to find worms. I've often hunted and found grouse, woodcock and pheasant in common cover.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I used to train my dog on my pigeons in a reclaimed mine near my house and my birds would fly home. Every night at the last light the woodcock would come flying into the field from the nearby woods. It was toward the end of summer so I think they were resident birds doing this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

They roost in fields at nighttime. During the day they will be in the thick stuff.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I distinctly remember Eric saying, back before he had to leave here (and we all know why), that he & his fellow biologists had found that reclaimed strip mines were proving to be very good woodcock habitat.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page