Posted Private Property & Retrieving Game - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Posted Private Property & Retrieving Game

It's been a good year so far but I had to leave a Cockbird yesterday morning and can't find a definitive answer to my dilemma. Yesterday morning the dog put up to big cockbirds. I hit the first one about 20 yards out. The second one appeared to be flying straight up towards the moon. By the time I put a bead on him he was headed out towards the middle of the field so I took the shot. I winged him, he started to fall, and then he recovered. He made a sharp left and headed out of the field to the top of the tree line. As he hit the trees his injuries took over and I could see him fall through the trees.

I sent the dog to retrieve the first bird as I started to walk over to the second bird. Knowing the state game lands boundaries pretty well that tree line has about 10 yards to a neighboring private property. When I got over to the treeline I could see that the owners of the private property had spent significant amounts of money and time posting the boundary extensively. The signs not only read no hunting but they also read no trespassing under any circumstances. I know the game laws relatively well but did not want to send the dog anywhere near the border to look for the carcass. You never know who has a leg trap waiting for the dog. Additionally I respect the homeowners right to do whatever they can to keep the people off of their property.

My issue is I can't shake the fact that I left that bird in the field knowing it was dead. The extensive posting is why I didn't want to risk any trouble with the game commission not only for me but for all of the other hunters that have access to this amazing resource.

What are the potential repercussions if I send the dog in for a retrieve on a piece of ground that is posted in such a way? What would you guys have done in the same situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Re: Posted Private Property & Retrieving Game

You did the right thing by walking away. just dont hunt so close to areas like that. We all havechad that bird that just takes a hit and glides forever. I lost one in a safety zone last week and felt bad. I know those folks have guys in there all the time so I just moved on. In areas that are not visibly posted I try to get the dogs to find them before I step foot on the property. If they find it and wont bring it back is when I will walk over and get it. Re-flush and runners I let go.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Part of the Community

there was <span style="color: #CC0000">or may have been </span>the possibility of asking permission to retrieve the bird

as to the dog that is an interesting question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Potential Trespassing Charges I would think, and an angry homeowner who might take more drastic measures in the future (legal or not).

What would I have done?
Given the circumstances, you winged him, he flew a further distance, eventually fell, and is now a runner until he recovers.
If he continued to fly I would venture to think he would be able to fly again in short bursts if needed, until fully recovered.
I would have continued on with my hunt, yeah it's a bummer, but it's bound to happen.
IMHO just because his wing folded doesn't mean he sustained life threatening injuries, and is lying there dead.
Animals are remarkable creatures.
That being said, I wasn't there...

I think you did the right thing, respecting landowners.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog61
there was or may have been the possibility of asking permission to retrieve the bird

to retrieve the bird he didn't say he saw lying there dead???
sounds more like he'd be asking for permission to continue to hunt an injured bird.

sending your dog onto posted property is still trespassing.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
Quote:
there was or may have been the possibility of asking permission to retrieve the bird

sounds more like he'd be asking for permission to continue to hunt an injured bird.

It isn't still trespassing if you ask for & gain permission. Is it beyond reason to leave the gun unloaded at the boundary and simply walk over, explain the situation and ask if you can send the dog find and retrieve the bird? (This iz where it pays to have a weel-trained dog that will run down a cripple or "hunt dead.") While it's obvious the property owners don't want hunters spilling over to their property from the public gamelands they might actually appreciate a hunter asking to recover wounded game rather than possibly finding it themselves later when it's in some period of decay and stink.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
Quote:

It isn't still trespassing if you ask for & gain permission. Is it beyond reason to leave the gun unloaded at the boundary and simply walk over, explain the situation and ask if you can send the dog find and retrieve the bird? (This iz where it pays to have a weel-trained dog that will run down a cripple or "hunt dead.") While it's obvious the property owners don't want hunters spilling over to their property from the public gamelands they might actually appreciate a hunter asking to recover wounded game rather than possibly finding it themselves later when it's in some period of decay and stink.
I'm not saying he shouldn't ask permission.
I think asking permission would have been a great idea if indeed the bird was dead, fact is, he doesn't know if it was dead or not.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM

I would simply count the rooster in my daily bag, retrieved or not. There's absolutely no way I'd knowingly enter posted property without permission and I wouldn't allow my dog to enter either. Sounds like you did the right thing there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page