can we talk about "hunter access points" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

can we talk about "hunter access points"

I have no clue exactly what they are, how they work. After a conversation I had in the parking lot on Saturday morning. I was told that some are stocked by pgc. I called my local office and they confirmed although they are starting to phase it out due to people signing up to have private lands stocked and then posting the property (getting free stocking) but they do stock and they do exist. They would not give me a list of the access lands that get stocked, only that some are.
So, are access points like game lands, and you can just hunt, or do you still need written permission from the land owner? There is a hunter access point literally walking distance from my house but the property is clearly posted under the control of a hunt lease company. I'm so confused how or why a property could be listed with pgc and posted at the same time. After asking neighbors the land has been posted for years.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: can we talk about "hunter access points"

Biggest scam ever these so called access points. 95% of these "public" access points are off limits to the public. The pgc had good intentions but the system is beyond repair.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Part of the Community

access points ? --- coops listed on pgc site require permission for access & permission can be denied for any reason & or species some listed on the site are species specific noted by black & or yellow pie shaped quarters of the dot----- don't be surprised if information is out dated in some cases as land owners may not notify the pgc
when changes are made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

That is exactly what I'm running into. What I don't understand is why pgc stocks some of these lands with pheasants. The person I spoke to confirmed some with suitable habit do get stocked but would not tell me which ones. His advise was to start knocking on doors..... really? There are about 300 hunter access points in my county. Some are in the wild pheasant release areas. Obviously those are out. But a little help would be great. I'd love to find a private farm I can at least train my dog on. So i can release birds and hope they hang around longer then a day, be even better if i found one that they stocked for me. ;-) trying to train on sgl with hunters, dogs, shots ringing off is next to impossible.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Sage

are you talking about hunting or training your dog?

From that last post it Sounds like you are looking for a farm to have at your disposal and have the PGC stock it for you. If I read that wrong sorry, but that is what it sounds like to me.

You can talk to any farmer or property owner you like put out your own birds and train away if that is what you are looking to do as long as its not in the wpra

wmu 3A
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

You need permission to hunt these areas. Only 1 of the 4 I asked allowed hunting any game. The others had restrictions on deer or turkey in some form. I'm only into predator and small game hunting so it doesn't affect me much. Also the game lands even though hunted hard hold quite a bit of game if you hunt hard and remain patient. I got 2 pheasant yesterday and a rabbit on public land.

Sergeant U.S.ARMY 99-06
Combat Infantryman OIF I & III
Small Arms Master Gunner
Dist Bradley Gunner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Your better off making a training pen. Stocked birds are dumb.

Sergeant U.S.ARMY 99-06
Combat Infantryman OIF I & III
Small Arms Master Gunner
Dist Bradley Gunner
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ideally id like to find a huntable property. I do have 5 game lands within an hour drive, but as we all know they get hunted hard and often see the worst in people. Finding private property close that is stocked would be great because it would give me the ability to hunt Ave train at the same location. The purpose of my post was just gathering info. Pgc was very vague about stocking hunter access land. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anyway to know which private lands get stocked by pgc.
I'm in Franklin county so yes a have a very large wpra area 5 minutes from my house.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

1 in 4? I grew up and still not game hunt in md. I'm lucky to get permission 1 out of 40 people I ask.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Regular Visitor

This program has been a big problem for years. The PGC needs to stop stocking private lands. There are tons of public lands that could be stocked and are not, and these farmers list their land as allowing access and then easily 90% of them don't allow virtually anyone to hunt there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page