Pheasant Opener Observations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pheasant Opener Observations

1) When it gets light enough to hunt, the mob enacts a pack mentality. One group sees another group heading in one direction, so they head that way. Then two more groups see them and follow, etc. Head in the opposite direction.
2) If you see a group of hunters head into a field hunting, and their dogs are following them, let them clear out and hunt exactly where they just went. They are clueless and just out for a walk.
3) Those "hawk shriek" locators can become very, very annoying. When there are three or four in earshot at one time, be careful. You may actually claw your own ears off.
4) Certain guys think "e-collar" means "electrocution collar" and will whack their dog on a five setting if he/she so much as looks at them wrong. Basically animal cruelty in my eye.
5) There so many dimwits who jump hedgerows, steal birds off of other peoples' dogs' points, and RUN in the bird fields that it is easy to remember why I have a hard time hunting on opening day.
6) There are just enough good people and good times to be had that it is easy to forget 1 thru 5 and have a great time out there.

These are the good old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Re: Pheasant Opener Observations

Try Grouse hunting.......1-5 don't exist
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM

I never park in the GL lot, on any Saturday. I keep away from the masses for obvious reasons. I hunt the peripheral area outside of stockerville. That typically means I have limited, or sometimes no shooting. But my idea of an enjoyable hunt isn't fighting to see who gets first dibs in a stocked field ?

Question... if I may ask here instead of starting another thread to waste bandwidth. Can a youngster (younger than 12) walk behind a licensed smallgame hunter. Essentially as a legally Orange wearing observer ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Yes, Fleroo, they may. I had the Wee man tagging along Saturday afternoon for a bit.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Thanks Much.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rober
Try Grouse hunting.......1-5 don't exist

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM

The lengths some people go to just to bag a bird is amazing. The first day of pheasant was a tradition when I young. I didn't mind getting bounced around, pushed out of a field, or rained on by pellets. It was just the way it was, and I had a great time out there with family and friends. Got some birds here and there to.

about 10 years ago I was out on the first day with my Lab. We were walking a dirt road to get to an area. There were 4 hunters pushing a field next to the road. A shot came from the closest hunter to the road. The shot landed about 5 feet in front of my dog, and my dog was only about 10 feet in front of me at that point. The shooter yells "I saw one running". There was no bird running. He shot just to shoot and it almost killed my dog, and was more than close enough to me.

We turned around and went back to the truck, haven't been to the gamelands on the first day since.

I went out today for a few hours. More vehicles than normal for a monday afternoon in the parking areas. Decided to go to a thick area away from the main crowds. About 20 mins into the hunt I heard Willies bell stop. I started to make my way to him. I heard some voices in the direction I heard willies bell stop. Couldn't make out what they were saying, but figured I was about 50 yards or so from Willie from the sound of the bell.

I got closer and heard someone yell "he's over here" and started to see orange moving around through a wide fencerow. Heard a rooster flush, then I heard willies bell, then about 5-6 shots rang out. After the shots I could still hear the rooster flying. I made my way through the thick fence row and asked them if they got it. They said they missed and asked if that was my dog. I replied that it was and it was pretty rude of them to flush the bird he had pointed. They said a few choice words of someone with a low vocabulary and stated that it was their bird because they got to it before I did. Didn't matter if my dog was pointing it or not.

So now I may just stay home the entire first week from now on. I usually only hunt pheasants on weekdays now to avoid this type crowd, but it seems that crowd is expanding to weekdays now.

First time I have experienced something like this.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

That really sounds like no fun with that type of hunters around. Almost like you can run into those crowds on first day of fishing. Gotta get those stocked whatever, and I don't care who I make mad, it's all about me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 PM
New Arrival

I've witnessed a lot of this exact stuff over the years on certain game lands. Some of those game lands I'll never go to again because of bad experiences. I've written off hunting on opening morning completely.
Saturday, I had to work in the morning anyway, so I grabbed the brush pants, gun, vest and dog and headed to the fields around 4:30. To my dismay it still seemed really crowded with guys. I figured I would take a walk to get away from the fields close to the parking lot. As I was getting ready to walk, I noticed two other guys with a dog suiting up as well. I had a gut feeling they had the same hunting plans as myself, so I walked up and said hi, and asked where they planned to hunt. Sure ebough, they were going to go to the same fields as me. Lots of things went through my head in an instant, ranging from getting back in the truck and going home to asking them to join ranks with me. I opted for the latter, and they politely agreed to join me. We introduced ourselves, shook hands, the dogs got acquainted and away we went. We had about a 10 minute walk and we spent that getting to know each other and the dogs. We hunted from about 5-6:30 and put up 8 birds. We ended up with only 2 in the bag but I still had a blast with my unplanned company. When we got back to the parking lot we exchanged info and made plans to do it again sometime. Prior to that, i had never hunted with strangers or even considered it, but I'm glad I did. Really nice to see there are still decent people among our ranks.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D
I've witnessed a lot of this exact stuff over the years on certain game lands. Some of those game lands I'll never go to again because of bad experiences. I've written off hunting on opening morning completely.
Saturday, I had to work in the morning anyway, so I grabbed the brush pants, gun, vest and dog and headed to the fields around 4:30. To my dismay it still seemed really crowded with guys. I figured I would take a walk to get away from the fields close to the parking lot. As I was getting ready to walk, I noticed two other guys with a dog suiting up as well. I had a gut feeling they had the same hunting plans as myself, so I walked up and said hi, and asked where they planned to hunt. Sure ebough, they were going to go to the same fields as me. Lots of things went through my head in an instant, ranging from getting back in the truck and going home to asking them to join ranks with me. I opted for the latter, and they politely agreed to join me. We introduced ourselves, shook hands, the dogs got acquainted and away we went. We had about a 10 minute walk and we spent that getting to know each other and the dogs. We hunted from about 5-6:30 and put up 8 birds. We ended up with only 2 in the bag but I still had a blast with my unplanned company. When we got back to the parking lot we exchanged info and made plans to do it again sometime. Prior to that, i had never hunted with strangers or even considered it, but I'm glad I did. Really nice to see there are still decent people among our ranks.
That's great to hear ! I refer you to number 6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page