aarrrggh! The king is ticking me off ;) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
The Man

aarrrggh! The king is ticking me off ;)

The "King" is getting the best of me these days. I hit up a cover close to home last night for a quick 25 min hunt before dinner with the inlaw. I flew solo on this one. I know where they like to roost and figured I could get a good crack at a few. From what I read about grouse hunting without a dog, and a little bit of my own personal knowledge from hunting with Lilly, is when you believe you are in their core area, pause for a few seconds, and the bird will panic.

I did just this and it worked like charm. I will admit that I had pause a few times and heard the grouse running in the leaves giving up their location. The first grouse that flushed went straight up, but when I pulled up the gun it tucked behind grape vines.

I moved up the ridge and kept my eyes and ears open. Pausing every 25-30 yards or so. Each pause was at least 10 second. I approached a group of Japanese knot weed (elephant ears) with a steep ditch, in the center with grape vines surrounding. I knew their just had to be a grouse in this. I flushed on bird on the bench below, and swore I heard more grouse than that in the leaves. So here I stand, in the perfect cover, and have the gun held in front of my chest. I pause and after 5 seconds or so. WHIIRRR! the bird takes off. It was about 3- feet above the knotweed in the wide open. I pull up my gun and start to swing. I can feel my body aligning with the birds speed. I am just about to shoot when all of a sudden it puts itself behind a pine. I continue my swing an take a shot right where I think the bird will be coming out of the other side of the pine. Well to make a long story short WHIFFFF. I shoot and then see the bird come out behind the pine after my shot.

I love hunting these guys, but just cant shoot them. I was happy that my "stalking" technique was working, but am 0 for 2 on shots at grouse this year. I will hopefully get one this season.

I may get out tonight with Lilly but plan on hitting up a woodcock cover instead. Tomorrow I will be focusing my efforts on putting a nice doe in the freezer. Next Friday I am off and will be hunting deer in the am and evening, and grouse and woodies mid day.

I absolutely cant get enough of these birds, and they are enjoying making a fool out of me.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Re: aarrrggh! The king is ticking me off ;)

I used to have lots of problems with grouse too, then one year I just started connecting! No idea what changed, I just started hitting grouse. I wish I had some advice for you, but they are a fairly fast bird in some real tight cover, and I just don't know how to tell you how to connect.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Shoot where they are gonna be, not where they are. I'd bet a wad of cash you're shooting behind them, add that to trying to shoot in heavy cover and heavy game bags don't come easily or often.

The hawks are killing everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 PM
JGR

Sometimes the game wins, that's just part of hunting. Good luck to you on future success, which will come. Next time out you may get your limit.

JR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Part of the Community

the fact you know clearly what you were doing throughout Your shot suggests you are thinking about your shot too much
reducing your reaction time to get on the target
practice --the " mirror Drill" thus aim becomes a function of shouldering & muscle memory to eye courdination
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog61
the fact you know clearly what you were doing throughout Your shot suggests you are thinking about your shot too much
What, Turkeymike over thinking something? Say it ain't so!!

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page