post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

pheasant opener

I would just like to take a moment to remind
anyone that is going out this pheasant season,
especially the opener, to be safe and respectful
out there!

Every year I see incidents and hear stories from
friends about some of the problems in the field.
Remember to always be sure of your target and
just as importantly what is beyond it! If you
see someone else's dog on point do not move in
on it hoping to shoot the bird! Yes I see this
happen and it's ridiculous! Keep your distance
and be courteous of others and their dogs please. Wishing everyone a safe and successful
season, good luck!!

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: pheasant opener

im excited for the opener, im giving up a deer day, driving up to state college tomorrow night after work to go hunting with my buddies who are at school, hope to get a couple down if we don't miss, and then in the afternoon we are gonna go grouse hunting, they tell me they have a secret spot with grouse in it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm debating if I should go for pheasant or deer. I'm thinking that maybe they're won't be a lot of deer guys out. If I do I'll probably go deep in and away from the fields. Good luck to all of you pheasant and deer hunters Saturday.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Part of the Community

For every "bad hunter or group of bad hunters" I come across, I do have to say there are 4x that of "good hunters" who show etiquette and professionalism towards the sport, other hunters, the environment and land which they hunt, and the game they chase.

Here is my gripe from last year opening day.
** sitting in the car waiting for legal time, it was still like 15-20 minutes before legal shooting time. A group of 4 or 5 hunters started to gear up. Their dogs are running wild and loose, one dog jumped up on my car with his front paws to see my dogs inside I guess. What the [censored]! I get out and confront the group/dog owner, first off why the dogs are running loose and not leashed, and I also questioned if they didn't know the current time. The said they are heading to the fields down below and will start hunting there. .... and when I watched them walk in early, the dogs were still not leashed and were basically hunting. So they did a nice game drive before time.
"this is not deer hunting, you do not need to walk in early to get to a different spot to hunt." You should leave the parking lot at legal time like everybody else.... And luckily I didn't get any scratches on my SAAB.

And this is an ongoing gripe.
** <span style="font-weight: bold">pick up your spent hauls after shooting, it is littering if you don't.</span> It literally takes 10 seconds. Yes there has been times when I search for 30 seconds and cannot find my haul in the tall grass, weeds, BUT I did make the attempt. I always come back to the car with more hauls than I actually fired because I pick up after you lazy ones.

Follow the dog. The dog's nose always knows.

https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingnittanylion
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Please guys stay out of the standing corn too! I see that every year and it scares the bejesus outta me.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 PM
JGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Rescuer
And this is an ongoing gripe.
** pick up your spent hauls after shooting, it is littering if you don't. It literally takes 10 seconds. Yes there has been times when I search for 30 seconds and cannot find my haul in the tall grass, weeds, BUT I did make the attempt. I always come back to the car with more hauls than I actually fired because I pick up after you lazy ones.
Agreed. This makes us all look bad.

JR
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumBackstrap
Please guys stay out of the standing corn too! I see that every year and it scares the bejesus outta me.
There shouldn't be any children in the corn to scare you, but that's where the pheasant are. haha

I hunt corn rows a lot. Well, my dogs run the corn rows more that I do, and common sense is if you are alone, you shouldn't be in the corn if it is taller than you are, how are you going to see let alone shoot at anything?
But if you and a friend are together without dogs, I don't see any reason one cannot walk the corn to drive/flush while the buddy walks the edge looking for a shot....be respectful of the corn if you are going to walk it. Stay in a row and do not knock stalks over. Farmers depend on that corn for their livelihood. If you are WIDER than the corn row, then you probably shouldn't be the flusher.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Sage

<span style="font-style: italic">Sec. 2509. Damage to property. (a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person while hunting game or wildlife or taking furbearers of any kind to: (1) Cause or assist in causing damage or injury, in any manner whatsoever, to either real or personal property of any kind. (2) Leave gates or bars open. (3) Break down, destroy or injure fences. (4) Tear down or scatter rail, post, wood or stone piles. (5) Harass, injure or kill livestock of any kind.<span style="font-weight: bold"> (6) Hunt or trap in or upon unharvested buckwheat, corn, sorghum or soybean fields without the permission of the owner or person in charge of such property </span> </span>

wmu 3A
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
Sec. 2509. Damage to property. (a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person while hunting game or wildlife or taking furbearers of any kind to: (1) Cause or assist in causing damage or injury, in any manner whatsoever, to either real or personal property of any kind. (2) Leave gates or bars open. (3) Break down, destroy or injure fences. (4) Tear down or scatter rail, post, wood or stone piles. (5) Harass, injure or kill livestock of any kind. (6) Hunt or trap in or upon unharvested buckwheat, corn, sorghum or soybean fields without the permission of the owner or person in charge of such property
It is "with permission". I only hunt public property. How does one get permission from the state of Pennsylvania or Game Commission if they are in charge of that property? Not being a smart [censored], that is a legit question. The public State Game Lands and Army Corp property have standing corn and soybeans all over the place where I hunt. Seems like that rule is driven towards private land owners and private property. If I were to hunt private property, I would think the land owner would note whether or not they want you in their standing crops at the time you gain permission in the first place.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

The rule doesn't apply to game lands from what I understand.

The hawks are killing everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page