Grouse Hunting Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Grouse Hunting Help

I am disabled from the waist down and require the use of a wheelchair. We found out a few months ago that i can use a four wheeler on certain designated State Game Land roads. Upon inspection of the road I plan to hunt I discovered the area is thick with Ruffed Grouse. Here is where my situation gets sticky. Pennsylvania Law states that i am not allowed to flush or locate game from my four wheeler and i cant get off the four wheeler because of my disability. i was wondering if any sportsmen out there had experience in hunting grouse and and suggestions as to how i can do this without "flushing or locating" the birds myself.

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 AM
dap

Re: Grouse Hunting Help

We were out grouse hunting when one of the guys hurt his knee and and couldn't maneuver in the woods by the end of the day. There were 3 of us with 3 dogs busting brush, while our limping friend walked the logging road that cut through the cover. On that one push, he ended up getting more shooting than the rest of us. This was in mid January with plenty of snow on the ground. I suspect something similar could work for you. You could drive ahead and park 100 yards out, wait for the guys to get within 20 yards, then repeat. You'd obviously need to be extremely careful with your shots, and not shoot towards the approaching hunters.

Are you able to swing a shotgun while seated on your four-wheeler?

If you are north of I-80 and west of State College and need someone to be the brush beater, you can PM me. I know a few guys and myself that would be willing to help you out either at the place you mentioned or at one of the places I hunt (assuming you could get 4 wheeler access).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Depending on where you're at and where you're planning on hunting, I'd be willing to run my dogs for you and bust the brush for you. PM me.

The hawks are killing everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

i definitely appreciate all the offers and will definitely take your advice dap. We were actually not planning to use any dogs just me n my dad kickin a few bushes on the weekend but the offers are kind. Dap, me and my dad had that same idea but wasn't quite sure how well it'd work. we will give it a try n tell u how it turns out. To answer your question i have a little trouble swinging to my left because i'm a left handed shot but i can park in a way that my right side is facing the flusher and all should be good.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:10 PM
dap

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

P.S. I would strongly suggest that you not post the SGL # , nor the county where you hunt as you may end up with lots of company. There are plenty of folks looking for places to hunt, and your note about it being loaded with grouse is sure to raise some interest.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM
The Man

I agree with DAP

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

times three

The hawks are killing everything.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM
New Arrival

Rollin

I'm the guy with the bad knee dap's refering too and more than once I've ended up on logging roads by days end due to my knee and it has paid off in shots and birds several times. Often birds will have a particular way they want to leave a certain cover and if you figure that out even just one hunter in the cover may provide you some shooting. I would encourage you to try! Like dap said, there are several of us that would give it a shot one day if you wanted too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

ok guys we went out yesterday didnt put up any birds though. the food, gravel and spruce trees (covered in crap) are all over but it was windy as all get out. Dunno if that affects the birds but i do have 1 question. Dad pushed a couple bushes and as we moved to our next spot we flushed 2 big black bears how exactly do u deal with that. XD Moving the fourwheeler out ahead seems to work well if i can find an opening to fit it in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page