12ga LOW BRASS LOADs - Is it enough for pheasant?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

12ga LOW BRASS LOADs - Is it enough for pheasant??

This might fall into the Too Stupid to ask Question category....but I don't know so I'm asking.
<span style="font-weight: bold">So does anybody ONLY use low brass loads for pheasant hunting?
If you do, what load do you use?????</span>

Here's why I was wanting to know.....When hunting pheasant up to this point in my life, I have always used high brass in either a 20 or 12 gauge. There was never "a reason" to use low brass load.... I prefer Remington's Express Long Range in #5 for pheasant hunting right now.

Well, this year I do want to hunt with a "new to me" family heirloom, a 1914 Ithaca double barrel. It is a 12 gauge with 2¾" chamber, and I think it would be great for my father-in-law to see some videos of his dad's gun back in action. <span style="font-weight: bold">I have had it to the gun range twice now, and only have been shooting low brass at clay pigeons.</span> While no problem on clay pigeons, I am questioning is a low brass load enough for pheasant knock down power. I do not want to risk high brass in the 100 year old gun.

Load numbers I am comparing:
3¾DR.EQ - 1¼oz shot #5 (high brass)
3¼DR.EQ - 1oz shot #7½ (low brass)
The reason I want to stick with the low brass is some information I received from another website forum about shotguns and ammo in that 1914 time period. The most powerful load was 3¼ dr.eq. <span style="font-style: italic">Ithaca catalogs of the period don't mention chamber lengths. At the time your gun was made our North American ammunition manufacturers offered 12-gauge shells in a staggering variety of loads and shell lengths. Generally speaking 1 and 1 1/8 ounce loads were available in the 2 5/8 inch cases, but one had to go to the 2 3/4 inch or longer shells to get the 1 1/4 ounce loads. <span style="font-weight: bold">The heaviest 12-gauge smokeless powder loads our manufacturers offered in 1914 were 3 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder pushing that 1 1/4 ounce of shot</span> </span>

Follow the dog. The dog's nose always knows.

https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingnittanylion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 12ga LOW BRASS LOADs - Is it enough for pheasant??

Maybe ask in the firearm section? I am sure they are going to recommend you take it to a gunsmith. But I do not know what you can check yourself. Congrats on getting pap's gun back in action!

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:11 PM

It's plenty. I reload, so it's hard to give you an equivalence, but I load similar to AA Super Handicap target loads and I've shot dozens of pheasants with 7.5 almost exclusively. Same goes for my 28ga. A ton of birds shot with 7.5, 3/4oz loads.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't use a 12ga much for pheasants anymore. I use the Herters shells from Cabelas in my 16ga and 20ga guns. They are both 2 3/4 low brass with one ounce of #5 or #6 shot. I have not had a problem with crippling or loosing birds. If it were me I would use the Ithica.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I probably wrote too much info to start with....

To be clear, I have already had the double barrel to the range, I have shot 2 boxes of "low brass" loads without any problems ... the question isn't whether the old gun is worthy or not, I have proved that already, <span style="font-weight: bold">just looking for answers to when hunting pheasants, what LOW BRASS loads do people like/use (if they use low brass at all).</span>

Follow the dog. The dog's nose always knows.

https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingnittanylion
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry I read into it wrong. I would guess 90% of the pheasants we have killed were with low brass. #5s

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunt pheasant with low brass 6 shot loads. More than sufficient.

These are the good old days.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Part of the Community

Location: Melbourne Beach, FL & The Mon Valley area of Pittsburgh

low brass 12's are plenty. I 've killed plenty with the off the shelf on sale loads of 1 oz of 6's or 7&1/2's. If cash isn't tight ( but how many do u shoot) I prefer the 1&1/8 oz. Win AA target loads. in my 20 I shoot the AA in the sporting clay 7/8oz or heavy target 1oz. in 7&1/2. they fall like they are crushed.

Headed back to PA in a few weeks to work my new Boykin Spaniel pup on some upland birds. Will chase Grouse, public land pheasants, & some shooting preserve pheasants to get the dog some work. 20ga with AA 7&1/2s for em all ( I may change chokes on the grouse)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shoot low brass 6's and 7.5's out of my 20 gauge. No problem.

Hunting WMUs 2D,2F
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would buy a box of low brass remington game loads with 6 shot for pheasants instead of using the 7.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page