Pretty good read - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Pretty good read

I am reading Grouse Feathers. I am really enjoying the book. I have read the Grouse Hunters Guide, and re read it last week.

What other books out there are good for upland hunting.

Grouse feathers is not really a how to book but I like the stories in there about dogs, grouse, and woodcock.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Pretty good read

The Upland Shooting life by George Bird Evans. People seem to either love him or hate him, but he did live an extraordinary life hunting grouse and woodcock down in WV.

The essence of the shot is how you shoot the bird, not how many. George Bird Evans
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:44 AM
Regular Visitor

The Upland Shooting Life is at the top of my list, followed by Wings of Thunder by Steven Mulak and New England Grouse Shooting by William Harnden Foster. Walrod's book is one of the best grouse-hunting "how-to" books, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A Season on the Allegheny, written by a member here, Robert Hilliard, and about PA grouse hunting. It's a short story but a must read, "The Road to Tinkhamtown" by Corey Ford.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Part of the Community

I am a "wannabe" grouse hunter. Got a dog _ Brittany, got several shotguns, 12 Ga, 20 ga, got boots, & brush pants. All I need is skill and knowledge... Yeah the tough ones! After I read this thread I immediately went to Amazon to buy the suggested books BUT... there are several editions of Grouse Feathers. Does each book build on the previous book or is the most recent edition cover the info in prior editions? I really enjoy reading about hunting and will likely buy multiple books but would prefer to not re-read previously published info.
B-T-W... A Season on the Allegheny is a truly great read. I felt like I was in the woods with the author especially when he got "turned around" while BP hunting.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM
New Arrival

TurkeyMike; just go to abe.com (advanced book exchange) and you will find a treasure of books on upland hunting. All the great old and new authors. Search by title, author, subject matter (upland hunting, grouse hunting,etc.). I've bought hundreds of books from them and have never been sorry. Also they are reasonably priced.

Vern
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the input guys.

I feel you Sgt Rick. I am still no where close to the guys on here but grouse hunting is quickly taking over my hunting brain. LOL I don't even have my archery license yet, or any cameras out, and have only went scouting 1 time, and that was actually taking the dog out for a run. Be careful as this gets addicting pretty quick.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been collecting books on grouse hunting on and off since about 1983. Some of mine are out of print but available in the used market. Here are a few that I did not see listed above.

Spiller
More Grouse Feathers
Drummer in the woods

Grandpa Grouse
Partridge Shortenin

Fergus
A Hunter’s Book of Days
A Rough Shooting Dog
The Upland Equation
Thornapples

Norris
Eastern Upland Shooting

George Bird Evans
An Affair with Grouse
Grouse on the mountain
Life of a Shooting Gentleman
Troubles with Bird Dogs

A Grouse Hunters Almanac
Grouse and Lesser Gods

For Ecology/How To:
Ruffed Grouse Wildlife Series – Stackpole Books
Ecology and Management of Appalachian Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse Woodland Drummer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks a bunch, Rick and Ryan, for the compliments on 'A Season on the Allegheny.' I think it's only fair to point out, though, that the most likely thing you can learn about grouse hunting from my book is how NOT to shoot one in the Allegheny National Forest.

There's much discussion of habitat and how to make it, as well as who's trying to keep new habitat from being made (HINT: their name rhymes with The Sierra Flub), but my luck in the grouse woods was especially miserable that year. Mike might like my book, and maybe get a chuckle or two, but I doubt it's going to make him a better grouse hunter!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I really didn't gain a lot towards the knowledge but I thought Grouse Feathers Was awesome. I really think the only way to get better at grouse hunting is to hunt. Learn your dog the best you can, and get after them. I just love reading about hunting them and such.

Either way I just picked up the book for my kindle. Looking forward to the read

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page