Is 1 oz of 7.5 too much for grouse and woodies. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Is 1 oz of 7.5 too much for grouse and woodies.

I have been in grouse mode the last few weeks something fierce once dove came in. I have been looking at different ammo and such. I checked out some 20 gage loads yesterday but the price about shocked me. I saw federal high brass shells that have 1 oz of 7.5 shot. I went to pick them up but they are 19.95 a box. seems a little high to me, so I put them back. The cheaper "estate" shells were 14.95.

Stop by wally world this morning and the Winchester AA shells in 7/8 oz of 7.5 were $7.97 a box. The box says a velocity of 1300 fps. I think I am going to pick up a box of these and see how they perform. on the pattern paper. I am thinking that by going with a skeet and improved cylinder choke, and 1 oz of 7.5 I would get the best pattern I could for grouse hunting, and offer the most shot without going to a smaller shot like 8.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Any ammo suggestions, and things of that nature would be appreciated. It is just hard for me to fathom spending 20 dollars for a box of shells for grouse hunting. All this coming from a guy who spends 6.50 per shell on his turkey ammo. The thing is I am not the best shotgun shot, and imagine most of the shots I am going to take this year will end up empty handed. Is that extra 1/8 oz of shot really worth double the price of a box of ammo. Nearly triple?

What are you guys shooting?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM
The Man

Re: Is 1 oz of 7.5 too much for grouse and woodies.

No you are not wrong. I have used the same or a similar load for many years.

BTW if you are near a Wal-Mart they have a sale on Federal ammo. The same load is selling for $19.95 for a 4 pack. I use the stuff and it is a great deal. It costs me about the same to reload 4 boxes.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM
The Man

BTW my grouse gun is choked skeet and skeet. Most shots are close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I am really thinking that I may try those AA's as well. Hearing a lot of great things about them on another forum I belong to. I think they still come with a 2.00 mail in rebate as well. So it would only be 5.97 or so for a box of them. they are 7/8 oz though.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
The Man

Winchester AAs are great rounds. Try them both.

Try this to see how they perform. Figure out what the usual yardage you would shoot at a grouse. I'd go with 20 to 25 yards. Draw a grouse on a couple of different sheets of paper and place them at you chosen yardage. Shoot at them with each type of round and choke. Look at the patterns on the paper. This will show you how your choke is performing and give you an idea how the loads perform with your particular choke.

I look for even patterns. Five to seven pellets hits in the vital areas will suffice and will bring down a grouse.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

im used to looking at turkey patterns of 260+ in a 10" cirle at 40 yards with my 12. This should be interesting . WIll put up pics with how I make out. Thanks.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Those 7/8 ounce AA Super Sport target loads in 7.5's are plenty of fire power for grouse and woodcock. I shoot those in my 20ga. and the same shell, although 3/4 ounce, in my 28 ga. with good success.
If you shop around you'll also find that Olin offers a 20 ga. AA target load with 1 ounce of 7.5's, in case you feel you need that extra 1/8 ounce of shot.
Any of these loads will work effectively for grouse and woodcock and at the same time be less expensive than traditional 'hunting loads.'
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike
im used to looking at turkey patterns of 260+ in a 10" cirle at 40 yards with my 12.
That won't leave much grouse to eat.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes I agree

I might have to let him get to the downward glide before squeezing off a crack at him with my 12 ga

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM

A lot depends on the type of cover you will be shooting in. My grouse hunting is all done in fairly heavy wooded areas with the birds kicking up very close (no shocker there) so I typically use hunting loads of #6 with a cylinder choke - 20 gage. I have, in the past, used shot as large a #5 for grouse and pheasant. It don't take many BBs of 5 or 6 from a hunting load to down a bird and the damage to meat is kept at a minimum.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page