Lets talk grouse times - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Lets talk grouse times

I am very excited for the first day coming up, but it is also the first day of muzzle loader. I am thinking of going out with my new inline pistol until 9:30 or 10, then take the lab out until the after noon.

My question is when do grouse come off the roost. I have a few good spots in mind, but want to be the first one in there. I doubt that anyone else will be targeting these areas as I have never heard shooting in there before. I know I see most woodies just before light, and just before dark. We took a walk through one of these areas that had loads of grouse last year just at day break and flushed 2.

What times do you guys typically go out for the birds. I would hate to let my excitement get the best of me and head out at day break only to have the birds fly out of the trees, and not get good flushes.

Is it a good idea to hold off a bit when hunting them. The grouse areas I will be hunting also had a lot of woodcock in them in the spring as I heard them peenting and twittering every morning while turkey hunting. Not saying they are still there but we have put up a few in our preseason adventures.

Will I be safe by waiting until 10:30 or so and going out, or should I be there closer to day break. Do the come off of the roost and feed for little while, then fly back up in the trees? I have read that they like to roost in pines, then come down to feed, and often hit up some gravel areas to get some stones. I have all 3 of these plus a water source in my favorite area. I am worried that they will come off of the roost at daylight, eat a bit, get the gravel, then fly back up during that 10:30 or so time.

Any thoughts on the better times to be in my favorite coverts?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lets talk grouse times

Whenever I go grouse hunting I don't leave the house until 8:00am. The best time in my opinion is the last two hours of the day hunt within 100 yds of a gravel source.

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I never go out at first light....I give them some time to come off of roost and put some scent down...last hour is the golden hour...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt when I can find the time, and find grouse during all times of the day, getting out at daybreak is not needed for grouse.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yep..not at daylight....let them come off roost walk around and spread some scent so your dog can go to town !!! Agree....8 Bells good start time !!

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've flushed plenty of birds or have seen them sitting alongside roads and trails first thing in the morning to realize they don't sleep in as much as we like to think they do.

The hawks are killing everything.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My flush rate is highest from Sunrise until about 11 am then again for the last 1.5 hours before end of legal shooting. Mid day we now spend scouting out new spots.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Part of the Community

I don't like last light as the porcupines start to come out and down. Charlie got hit twice last year,luckily not to bad.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Early season got to be in the woods early for grouse. It get to warm and with dry leaves its to noisy. After that hit the swampy stuff for woodcock. Then after a long days hunt you can tell a story at the watering hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page