Dove hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Dove hunting

It's been about three years since I've hit my limit and I'm hearing more and more how people are seeing less birds. I hunt in the Morgantown area is it because homes have been built, less birds, or just bad luck? Have there been any studies done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dove hunting

I'd guess urbanization spreading them out, and predators decreasing numbers. I have no research to support this however.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM
The Man

There is nowhere near the number of doves we had a few years ago. I don't know the reason but I suspect predation.

I hunt the same areas I've hunted for years and they are not there. In the past few weeks a few friends and I checked areas we hunt in four different counties and none of us found a concentration worth hunting.

Last year I went out 8 times. I shot two doves and I only pulled the trigger 2 times. I had one other dove in range but I never got the gun up. Three doves in range in eight trips....not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I wasn't sure of it was just Lancaster county or state wide?
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ten years or so ago we'd have little trouble shooting a limit of a dozen birds most every time out. Always had a group of friends from Maryland come up for the first week. Then about five or so years ago everything changed. Shooting four or five birds became the norm and the Maryland guys stopped coming. Last year we found an area that produced numbers like the old days. I'm seeing a fair number of birds on our scouting trips this year too, so we'll see come Monday.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM
The Man

pesticides, taking a limit every time you go out, dove hunting becoming more popular, and urban sprawl would be my guess. Not so sure how much of an impact it has because I see a ton of doves in the towns and such I drive though.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Part of the Community

Lots of birds in the towns right now because the corn isn't cut yet. Been seeing a lot of birds going to and from the stone quarry across from me, but I just called and they do not allow any hunting on it. Which really makes me mad, but hey what are you gonna do. Like what has been said before, we shall see Monday.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Banned

Taking a limit every time you go out and dove hunting becoming more popular certainly isn't the problem!

I know of 1 person who has ever gotten a limit of doves. That person is my dad! Everybody else gets 4 birds out of 25 shots. (Not me, I shot 92% last year!)If anything dove hunters are on the decline!

Like other migratory birds doves don't necessarily keep the exact same migratory pattern each year. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. The weather has a lot to do with the migration too.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My complaint isn't missing, it's not seeing. It's easy to hit 100% when you only have 2 birds to shoot at.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM

Hitting a limit or even seeing a limit of doves isn't an issue. Finding the time to hunt them with friends is my problem. Dove hunting is a social affair for me. One a enjoy very much. But each year, I have less time, and my friends also hunt less.

Saw a group of at least 40 yesterday morning 10 yards out of my front door. I may be alone for the first day, but i'll have shots. gonna take my 5yo daughter with me since my friends have not responded as to whether they can make it or not.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page