Bird belt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Bird belt?

Trying to decide what would be a better option for grouse hunting. I am hunting mostly hill/mountain country. I have a vest but it is bulky and gets a bit hot. I am thinking of going with a bird belt to hold my shells and downed birds, if I can ever shoot any

I get really hot and sweated up when hunting grouse and am thinking of switching to a more light weight approach. Contemplating picking up the Cabelas RNP upland pro jacket, and getting a bird belt. It is made for brush but is lighter weight and has a mesh back section. It is made with their windshear technology so I am hoping to be able to just wear a tee shirt under it for all season hunting. It has a few pockets for things you would need, but no back pouch.

I figured the bird belt would suffice for the supplies I need to carry, except a water bottle. I am looking for a good belt that will not come loose and slide down at all. I hate when hunting with a fanny pack and it does this. Suspender type would be awesome.

I don't really carry any dog supplies except a water bottle. Most of my hunts last about 2 hours. I don't use a whistle or shock collar or anything like that.

Can anyone reference me to a good bird belt with possibly a water bottle holder?

I have seen belts that have a wire loop to hang your birds from but I am thinking that this may not fit my hunting stlye, as the birds may get torn to shreds by the time I am done hunting. Has anyone used these?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Re: Bird belt?

I picked up an Avery strap vest years ago for duck and goose. A few years ago I got tired, like you, of sweating my brains out. I picked up a couple long sleaved orange shirts that were a size too large so I could wear a sweater or the like under it. Toss the strap vest on and I can walk all day without working up too much of a sweat. The vest has enough pockets and d-rings I have yet to find anything it can't hold. Yes, it does have a game bag that comes up your back, but it doesn't have that "bloodproof" junk that never works anyway. So it breathes, as long as you don't have the waist and chest adjustment cinched down.

I even got to the point that unless it gets down below freezing that's what I wear. Duck, archery, upland, rifle... My license goes on it about now and never comes off.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I think I may end up going with that strap vest. Looks decent ant is pretty affordable, around 50.00. Going to go with the blaze and tan color scheme.

now I have to find a decent pair of lighter weight brush pants. Under Armour has a pair for 70 bucks or so that look pretty good. I love anything that they offer as their gear has never let me down.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I like wearing a strap vest for grouse hunting also. You can layer your clothing to suit the weather. After trying 3 or 4 vests I settled on a WingWorks vest www.wingworks.biz/ Pretty pricey but with it's weight bearing waist belt it really takes the load off your neck and shoulders. Their built very rugged and should last for a lot of years.

The essence of the shot is how you shoot the bird, not how many. George Bird Evans
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've never tried a belt. My vest is a strap type, it looks more like a tree stand harness than a full vest. It's much lighter and cooler than my regular upland vest. I got it at Cabela's for around $70.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Part of the Community

http://www.q5outdoorproducts.com/Q5-...-Vest_p_8.html

Pricey but might be the one im getting this year

If you are not on a government watchlist by now you should be ashamed of yourself
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Sage

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_ca...m1=%20IK-941149

I've had this one for a lot of years comfortable, light, moderately priced I've used it for dove grouse and woodcock hunts and have been satisfied.

Also have a filson strap vest and a carhartt small game vest. The strap vest does double duty in warm season and late season over a heavy coat.

wmu 3A
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 AM
The Man

I use a belt for dove hunting because it is usually warmer I do not walk much.

I use a strap vest for grouse and small game because it is much more comfortable for long walks. It keeps the weight on your shoulders.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Agree with timberdoodle best belt I bought for dove. 30 bucks holds 2 boxes of shells at least for dove and hold small birds pretty well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ended up getting the Cabelas RNP Upland Pro Jacket.

It was on sale for 99.99 down from 189.99. It will be more or less a shell, but I really needed a more brush worthy jacket and the light weigh factor of that one is what I wanted. it is water resistant as well wich is a plus. Hoping it will meet my expectations.

Member Maul suggested a company to get brush pants from, and I think I will be going with them.

Still up in the air on weather I want a bird belt or the strap/vest style. We shall see.

My track record shows that I would probably be good with just the jacket, and keep the shells in my pockets, no need for the game pouch anyway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page