Anybody ever hunt prarrie chickens? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Anybody ever hunt prarrie chickens?

I like to take upland bird trips and I am thinking about prarrie chickens next. So my question is has anyone ever hunted them? How and where? Was it a mixed bag? What part of the season. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Anybody ever hunt prarrie chickens?

I hunted them several times in Kansas. Every hunt was primarily for Quail and Pheasant. When we hunted them we sat harvested grain fields in the evening much like dove hunting. Mostly milo or soy beans. Soy beans being the best. We always hunted late November so walking in on pointed birds did not happen often. Much like dove hunting if you were hunting a field that they have been feeding in and have not been pressured much you were in for some fun. Had a lot of good hunts on Fort Riley.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

My experience exactly, except we never sat for them. We just swore at them when they got up too far away to shoot at. We had little trouble getting them pointed but they'd get up as soon as we tried to walk in on the point. Sorta like late season sharptails. It's exciting to know that they're still around though, as they have been for thousands of years.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Did a sharp tail and prairie chicken hunt last year in SD. Went the second week of the season...late September. It was a good hunt...not a lot of birds because the crops were still up. Got some nice dog work. Hardest thing for me was being able to tell a chicken or grouse from a hen pheasant.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In 2012 three of us spent the second half of a week long bird hunting trip to Nebraska looking for chickens in the national grasslands in the center of the state. We saw a few chickens, but were not able to harvest any. We did pretty well on sharpies though. I limited 2 of the 3 days we chased them. We were hunting the first week of December and had thousands of acres of public grasslands to ourselves.

Birds were in pretty big groups, but I did manage to shoot birds off some long points.

Nebraska is sharpies, quail, pheasants, and chickens. Though it's tough to find areas where all co-exist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page