Bird hunting trip- looking for advice and info - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bird hunting trip- looking for advice and info

My father-in-law and I are hoping to do a bird hunting trip out west. I am in the early stages of planning this. We are either looking to go for pheasants or quail somewhere. His previously went for quail in Kansas about 15 years ago and had a great time. I'm not a big bird hunter so I'm not real informed about good places to go. I guess we were either looking at Kansas quail or South Dakota pheasant. Any advice, information, good locations to go, hotel deals are appreciated. Or, if there are any other better places to hunt birds than Kansas quail or SD pheasant, please let me know . Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Sage

Re: Bird hunting trip- looking for advice and info

There are some great plantation hunts available in GA. I hunted Pine Hill Plantation in GA several years ago, roade in the Mule drawn wagon after the dogs and one day I did horse back as well. Incredible place great hunting great dogs and hospitality unmatched. Just google quail hunting and you can spen half a day researching.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you go it on your own without a guide, your first trip will be a lot of learning curve. When I go to a new area, I have things pretty well figured out by the end of the week. The next trip will be much more productive. Doing some research can help but nothing is as effective as your boots on the ground. Talking to locals is your best bet when you get there.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Will you be using your own dogs, or relying on a guide and dogs?

Quail populations are hurting in many locations and wild numbers continue to decline across the country. Many places are supplementing or fully using pen raised Quail at this point. A fun Quail preserve hunt can be had here in PA at several locations.

I would Highly suggest South Dakota pheasants for fun and wild birds on public, private land, or guided.

Even my family in southern Indiana have very little pheasants and quail on their farm anymore. They stopped hunting them on their farm years ago and are going to South Dakota for their hunts.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

We'd be using our own dogs.

I'd be all for South Dakota, but he's really doesn't want to put his dog on an airplane. That would be a loooong drive.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM

The drive is half the fun.

You can have some great preserve hunts right here in pa. A mixed bag of quail and pheasant can be found. Cost about the same as the fuel to drive out west.

With wild bird populations declining its gonna be hard to find a good hunt outside of a preserve unless you hit the Dakotas.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

I used to go to Kansas for quail and pheasants every year but a few years of really bad weather put a hurt on populations. Don't know if it's come back or not. The state has a really nice Walk In hunting program with lots of land open to public hunting. Those areas, if they're near a big town, can get pounded pretty good especially on the first couple weekends. I've also hunted South Dakota many times for pheasants. Lots of birds, in fact too many at times for a pointing dog. Land access is generally not as good as Kansas, South Dakota farmers learned long ago that pheasants are a cash crop. I believe that non toxic shot is required on all public land in South Dakota, even for upland birds. These days I lean toward Montana, Saskatchewan or somewhere where I can get the dogs into huns and sharptails, but that's just my personal preference. Hope you're able to make the trip. Once the prairies get under your skin it's an itch that needs frequent scratching!!

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
New Arrival

Like most states these days, the bird hunting on public land is not what it once was in South Dakota.

South Dakota is still probably the best but a far cry from its heyday. We used to drive annually to Chamberlain, South Dakota, which is part of the Golden Triangle of Pheasant hunting. My Dad had went since the early 70s not missing a year up to until 2009. It would be nothing to flush 30-40 birds a day.

To drive that far of a distance to kick grass for no birds just wasn’t worth it. Whether it is SD, Kansas, Iowa or Nebreska, Wild bird numbers are way down and they are stocking birds.

However, a good trip within a reasonable driving distance is Pelee Island which we have done annually for the past 10 years is Pelee Island. Pelee Island is Canadian island close to Put in Bay in Lake Erie . It is a two day hunt

Although stocked, they have some of the strongest flying birds I have seen. Almost Comparable to Wild birds. What is nice is you take your dogs and go. No Hassle just a nice hunt where you know you’ll run into birds.

It can be a little tricky getting to the island do either flying in from Sandusky, Ohio or taking the Ferry Windsor due to weather.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.pelee.org/i?page=hunts&sid=BL1407340860I2

That being said, as my Dad reaches his mid 70s I would like to make a trip back to South Dakota with him. Have some unbelievable memories out there.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Part of the Community

Like some others have stated, South Dakota is not what it once was. The past couple of years in the "golden triangle" have been disappointing to say the least. Between wet springs and a huge loss of CREP land the numbers are way down. We still make the 18hr drive to SD for every opener but it has become more of a duck/Sharptail hunt than pheasant hunt. We have a resident that we contact out there and the early reports are promising (good brood numbers and a dry spring) but I personally think it will take years to get the numbers back to where they were. If your gonna go, hunt public land. If your hunting a preserve you might as well stay here and hunt the stocked birds. I could go on and on, if you need anymore info just pm me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think SD not being what it once was has to be taken with the understanding that is based on SD standards. I have friends here in PA that have gone out every year, mostly for waterfowl, but always spend a few days hunting pheasants, etc and their dogs have not had much trouble finding birds. As one of them said "even in a down year, it's still a lot better than PA pheasant hunting. Lots more birds."

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page