Grouse hunts on SGLs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Grouse hunts on SGLs

Hi everyone! I am from Southwestern Indiana and I love to bird hunt. I have a 2 year old wirehair who I trained myself and is coming on very strong. I am in need of a little help. My grandfather lives in Mercer County, PA and I am wanting to plan a grouse and woodcock hunting trip up to PA this fall with my father. My grandfather owns around 150 acres but not great grouse habitat. I am wanting some guidance on the SGLs nearby his farm. I am in no way going to share any information that anyone might give me. I would rather you send me a pm to protect any information you may give. Thank you all for your help and happy hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM

Re: Grouse hunts on SGLs

BirdK9,
Pick up a copy of the western pennsylvania all outdoors atlas & field guide. I think walmart still sells them in the sporting good section. There are maps of all the Pa state game lands in there and it should be easy to see which ones are near your grandfathers property. Happy hunting to you too.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Wingshot,
Thanks for the advice! I know of where a couple are within minutes of his farm. I was wanting to know within those SGLs where I should focus or if they are even worth hunting. I have the numbers of the game lands but I don't really want to let them go out on the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
The Man

This might be a tough one to get a lot of responses with being that it is your first post. You would be about 3 hours away from me, or I would give you a few places to try in my neck of the woods. I have family in Crawford county, from what I hear there aren't a lot of grouse up that way. Can't be positive though.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdK9
Wingshot,
Thanks for the advice! I know of where a couple are within minutes of his farm. I was wanting to know within those SGLs where I should focus or if they are even worth hunting. I have the numbers of the game lands but I don't really want to let them go out on the board.
Oh, I think the only way you're going to find out whether or not they're worth your time is to put on your boots and do some physical scouting of those areas. That's the way we all do it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

So you have game lands numbers where you may hunt grouse and you don't want to put them on the internet yet you want someone to tell you where to go grouse hunting on the internet! Go figure.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Wingshot and John S,
In my original post I said I lived in southwestern Indiana. To my grandfathers farm is 8 hours. Boots on the ground is not something I can do regularly. I was just looking for a little guidance not asking for your favorite hotspot. i.e. SGL 000 has some grouse and you should focus on hunting the southwest corner of the property.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Wingshot and John S,
In my original post I said I lived in southwestern Indiana. To my grandfathers farm is 8 hours. Boots on the ground is not something I can do regularly. I was just looking for a little guidance not asking for your favorite hotspot. i.e. SGL 000 has some grouse and you should focus on hunting the southwest corner of the property.
PM sent.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Wingshot and John S,
Yeah, but if you don't specify what SGL you're interested in how is anyone going to be able to tell you where the grouse are?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

This is why I mentioned the county so that anyone who knows the area could let me know and I would privately share the SGL numbers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page