Rabbit Hunt Story - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Rabbit Hunt Story

I've had some good laughs this year.
I thought I'd share a short story about one of my hunting trips, hopefully it'll inspire others to share more of their own stories.

3 of us arrive at a spot, unload, go over safety, gameplan, ect.
About the crew on this trip: One guy is a seasoned waterfowl hunter, the other a seasoned deer/bird hunter, and myself.

I send the dogs in with a simple "Hunt'em Up" Command, within moments Gunner (a colder nose) gives a little mouth at the edge of brush pile. Trigger takes his partners bark for it and barrels in, the moment Trigger (hot nose only really) opens his mouth I know we're going to have a good day.
We are all just standing in a gaggle, wondering if the rabbit is really going to make a break for it across a freshly snow covered opening at least 30yds wide when the rabbit breaks cover and sets off at a leisurely pace across the clearing not more than 25yds from us.
The air is filled with gunfire for the next 30 seconds as both men engage this cottontail who clearly had a death wish. Only when the last echo of their shots stop ringing in the distance to both men hear me laughing- the dogs continue on the track across the clearing to find the hole, return to the edge and just stare at me- as if begging me to find better shooters.

As we joke about the moment I cast the dogs in again.
Trigger goes right into the same brush pile again, and erupts into song as a rabbit comes out straight for us.
I holler to the closest guy to take it, and the rabbit cuts right- moving along the wood line now. After his 2nd shot, I decided to lend a hand. First Rabbit of the day!

We hunt the area some more, having some good runs but never having a clear shot of the rabbits.

We get to a great spot, I post a guy just inside the brush, next to a field; and the other 20yds away deeper inside the woods. The dogs are really pounding one good at this point, and it sounds like he is headed right to us...

BOOM...
Did you get him? No, he cut in, he's headed to you guys.
BOOM...
BOOM...
Did you get him? No, but I nailed the tree in front of me.

The dogs run'em to ground, and jump another moments after.
We take up similar posts, but it seems the rabbit holed up just short of our position. I move in to investigate when I see Trigger hopping all over this brush pile, he goes from one side- goes in a little bit, then hops to the other and does the same thing. He insists there is a bunny inside, I get him all riled up and he goes in a little deeper this time... and comes out with fur hanging from his chin. I tell him to "Bring it Here", and he runs to the other side and dives in, the rabbit comes flying out bumping my leg on the way. I holler to the shooter, and just at that moment the rabbit stops not more than 10yds in front of the shooter- right in a small shooting lane...
"I can't he's too close.."
The rabbit breaks right...
BOOM...
"Not too close to me."
2nd rabbit of the day!

We continue along our way, hunting, joking, enjoying just getting it away from it all.

It isn't long before the dogs get another one going, and push it straight to a shooter. His 1st shot slows it down, and the 2nd shot finishes the job.
3rd Rabbit of the Day!

We also had a rabbit bust out of a pile and into deep snow that we didn't shoot because we thought it was a mouse at first. All you could see was the top of its head flying thru the snow.

We continue to hunt our way back to the truck, when Trigger begins to tell us he's got something under a clutch of snow covered multiflora brush. Next thing we know he's singing full volume...
A few tense seconds later the front half of a rabbit pops out of the snow from the top of the bush and starts wriggling trying to free itself from the brush.
We begin to think the dog has the other end of it, until Triggers head pops out next to the Rabbits.
Both stuck in the brush and can't seem to free themselves, gunners are standing at the ready waiting for the rabbit to clear the dogs. Trigger tries with all his might to make his mouth reach the rabbit... just as we see Triggers breath contact the rabbit, the rabbit busts free- making a break for it.
BOOM...
BOOM...

I don't even ask if he got it, I just chuckle and continue my walk back to the truck with the dogs at my feet- they aren't looking for rabbit anymore.
No, they are looking for better shooters!

A great day afield with friends, full of laughs and good memories. We didn't come out to feed our families, we came out to relax and have fun.

The dogs performed flawlessly, making sure I didn't look like a fool when I promised these guys a good hunt.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 AM

Re: Rabbit Hunt Story

Funny story but I think I would have got my dogs and myself out of there and away from these Elmer Fudd's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My kind of hunt, all have fun saafely and no one too worked up over some misses.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 AM

everyone has days like your friends had. sounds like a great time
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
I've had some good laughs this year.
I thought I'd share a short story about one of my hunting trips, hopefully it'll inspire others to share more of their own stories.

3 of us arrive at a spot, unload, go over safety, gameplan, ect.
About the crew on this trip: One guy is a seasoned waterfowl hunter, the other a seasoned deer/bird hunter, and myself.

I send the dogs in with a simple "Hunt'em Up" Command, within moments Gunner (a colder nose) gives a little mouth at the edge of brush pile. Trigger takes his partners bark for it and barrels in, the moment Trigger (hot nose only really) opens his mouth I know we're going to have a good day.
We are all just standing in a gaggle, wondering if the rabbit is really going to make a break for it across a freshly snow covered opening at least 30yds wide when the rabbit breaks cover and sets off at a leisurely pace across the clearing not more than 25yds from us.
The air is filled with gunfire for the next 30 seconds as both men engage this cottontail who clearly had a death wish. Only when the last echo of their shots stop ringing in the distance to both men hear me laughing- the dogs continue on the track across the clearing to find the hole, return to the edge and just stare at me- as if begging me to find better shooters.

As we joke about the moment I cast the dogs in again.
Trigger goes right into the same brush pile again, and erupts into song as a rabbit comes out straight for us.
I holler to the closest guy to take it, and the rabbit cuts right- moving along the wood line now. After his 2nd shot, I decided to lend a hand. First Rabbit of the day!

We hunt the area some more, having some good runs but never having a clear shot of the rabbits.

We get to a great spot, I post a guy just inside the brush, next to a field; and the other 20yds away deeper inside the woods. The dogs are really pounding one good at this point, and it sounds like he is headed right to us...

BOOM...
Did you get him? No, he cut in, he's headed to you guys.
BOOM...
BOOM...
Did you get him? No, but I nailed the tree in front of me.

The dogs run'em to ground, and jump another moments after.
We take up similar posts, but it seems the rabbit holed up just short of our position. I move in to investigate when I see Trigger hopping all over this brush pile, he goes from one side- goes in a little bit, then hops to the other and does the same thing. He insists there is a bunny inside, I get him all riled up and he goes in a little deeper this time... and comes out with fur hanging from his chin. I tell him to "Bring it Here", and he runs to the other side and dives in, the rabbit comes flying out bumping my leg on the way. I holler to the shooter, and just at that moment the rabbit stops not more than 10yds in front of the shooter- right in a small shooting lane...
"I can't he's too close.."
The rabbit breaks right...
BOOM...
"Not too close to me."
2nd rabbit of the day!

We continue along our way, hunting, joking, enjoying just getting it away from it all.

It isn't long before the dogs get another one going, and push it straight to a shooter. His 1st shot slows it down, and the 2nd shot finishes the job.
3rd Rabbit of the Day!

We also had a rabbit bust out of a pile and into deep snow that we didn't shoot because we thought it was a mouse at first. All you could see was the top of its head flying thru the snow.

We continue to hunt our way back to the truck, when Trigger begins to tell us he's got something under a clutch of snow covered multiflora brush. Next thing we know he's singing full volume...
A few tense seconds later the front half of a rabbit pops out of the snow from the top of the bush and starts wriggling trying to free itself from the brush.
We begin to think the dog has the other end of it, until Triggers head pops out next to the Rabbits.
Both stuck in the brush and can't seem to free themselves, gunners are standing at the ready waiting for the rabbit to clear the dogs. Trigger tries with all his might to make his mouth reach the rabbit... just as we see Triggers breath contact the rabbit, the rabbit busts free- making a break for it.
BOOM...
BOOM...

I don't even ask if he got it, I just chuckle and continue my walk back to the truck with the dogs at my feet- they aren't looking for rabbit anymore.
No, they are looking for better shooters!

A great day afield with friends, full of laughs and good memories. We didn't come out to feed our families, we came out to relax and have fun.

The dogs performed flawlessly, making sure I didn't look like a fool when I promised these guys a good hunt.
Conservation hunting. I love it and do lots of it.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 PM

As long as they are mindful of the dogs... Gotta love those hunts.

To this day no one believes me there are armor plated rabbits in this state.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Roborabbits...PAGC released them as part of a top secret plan in 1978. It was supposed to help introduce the 10 gauge to rabbit hunting.

Sergeant U.S.ARMY 99-06
Combat Infantryman OIF I & III
Small Arms Master Gunner
Dist Bradley Gunner
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good story. Glad your dogs are doing good.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW
As long as they are mindful of the dogs... Gotta love those hunts.

To this day no one believes me there are armor plated rabbits in this state.
I believe you TJ. I've seen it with my own four eyes.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM

sometimes there's shells in my box that don't have bb's in them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page