These birds are making me angry! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

These birds are making me angry!

Same scenario every morning. I hear 3 or 4 and they gobble at everything I throw at them as they go the other way. Doesn't matter whether I call soft, loud, aggressive they just go the other way. I hear some really deep yelps too so not sure if they have a hen or if it's kust them. I even tried an afternoon hunt but they roost a couple hundred yards apart each night. Are they inkillable at this point? Sitting hear right now listening to them gobble their heads off. 2 below me and 1 to the left of me. Any ideas? None of my other farms have anything this year. I tried roosting them as well but they never gobble in the evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: These birds are making me angry!

Ben Lee used to say "spook them or kill them"! I would go right after them, move as close as you can. Aggressive hunting may switch the odds in your favor. Good luck.

Member:
NRA- Life member
OSTA
FTA
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. I moved in on a roost this morning as close as I dare. They still headed off. Now not sure if I should stick it out awhile to see if they come back or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I slipped in on the gobbler I roosted lastnight. He flew down and got with a hen and walked off. I backed out. If he goes to that roost area tonight, like he has the past 2 days, he is coming home in the back of the truck. No calling, no deeks, just a blind set-up next to the gaswell road that he walks on heading to the roost. He tries it tonight and its game over!

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Bowhunt
I slipped in on the gobbler I roosted lastnight. He flew down and got with a hen and walked off. I backed out. If he goes to that roost area tonight, like he has the past 2 days, he is coming home in the back of the truck. No calling, no deeks, just a blind set-up next to the gaswell road that he walks on heading to the roost. He tries it tonight and its game over!
are you using a bow that you need the blind? no trees to sit against?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Oops! A web admission of illegally hunting turkey by not calling to them??!!

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I hunt birds like these....I follow them...find where their going and setup on them the next time....or no calling only to locate and get as close to them as I can....I'm an aggressive run and gunner.....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung
Quote:
Oops! A web admission of illegally hunting turkey by not calling to them??!!
haha I was thinking the same thing. spring turkey hunting isn't about patterning the gobblers, it's about calling them in, trying to reverse the natural cycle of turkey breeding. You want the gobbler to close the distance to your calling.(naturally the hen calls, gobbler answers to let that hen know where he is, then he struts and looks all pretty for the hen when she comes walking into him.) you COULD do what your saying your going to do, but you have to at least hit that call one time for it to be a legal kill. and no im not being an internet cop. save the roost busting and setting up in their turf for the fall. that's why it's spring gobbler! not spring turkey. if that makes sense.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

These birds are always roosted near our property line. Sometimes 100yds other times right at the line. They head towards the neighbors so I can't get ahead of them. Other than that I have set up uphill, downhill, and on level ground and can't get them to commit. Last week I set up 50 yds from the roost. They got down on the other side of some pines gobbled all morning and off they went. I think they might still have hens with them. The good thing was at least they were separated today. Usually they are roosted together. 3 gobblers. I did try to close the gap last week and kept walking towards them then sitting and calling. They were gobbling but kept just out of sight.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You're not allowed to "Stalk" turkey..it doesn't say anything about ambushing them.

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page