Call him Skip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Call him Skip

I called and got two answers one about 150 yards away and one about 70 yards away. I called off and on and was answered every time for about the next half hour. The close bird was strutting in a thicket but wouldn't come closer. these guys probably gobbled 80 times back and forth to my calling and to each other, and to crows, and to loud bangs of coal trucks.

I decided to up the calling a bit and mixed in some cuts and such to really get them fired up. I could tell the far bird was coming in like crazy and Old skip came in strutted pas the other bird. He was strutting and gobbling non stop I missed him/ winged him on my shot. I missed for sure on the follow up shots and he nearly too my hat off and flew right at me.

I am going back up after work to be sure he didn't land close by and hide. I think this was the monster tom I had missed last year. I learned a lot today about feeling the bird, when not to call to make him break strut. I mixed in some leaf scratching to seal the deal. In the end i ended up whiffing again. but will be ready next year. I am buyin a super full choke and scope.

This was my first year really getting into turkey hunting. This mornings hunt was by far the best outdoor experience I ever had. it beat calling in bucks, catching big trout on my own flies, ten fold. I am still going to go at it hard, and may get the choke and pattern it this weekend. The factory remington choke patterned good but not that great at distances. I also learned to be more patient. Let the bird get a lot closer next time. 35 yards didn't seem far at all at the time but looking back i should have let him get closer. I was a bit worried about my back cover and was worried he would not come in front of me.

By and large i found a new addiction, the exercise that come with turkey hunting, and the ability to go out before work and harvest an animal are the top two reasons for my new addiction. Not to mention that hearing gooblers coming in is about the most exhilarating thing one can experience. I am still turkeyless but will keep at it.

thanks for all of the help from friends and forum posters!

I am thinking that ol Skip was the boss Tom on the mountain and the other bird was not wanting to come in. I tried to only answer the subordinate gobblers gobbles and I think that is why old skip was in such a hurry to come in and intersect the "hen" I always try to break hunting scenerios down to learn for next time.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Call him Skip

It happens brother..I've been chasing them since 1978..i've had my chances...but patients has to the killer..be patient and shoot a good choke and you'll drop birds...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Regular Visitor

Sorry that you didn't tag that gobbler, but keep at it. It will happen! Good to hear that you have caught the "bug". There sure aren't many things more enjoyable than doing battle with a spring gobbler and getting to enjoy God's creation in the process. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Man, I have been there! Keep after them.

Member:
NRA- Life member
OSTA
FTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page