May 17th, Day 18 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

May 17th, Day 18

Got that gobbler roosted since he wouldn't commit any closer than 55 yards lastnight. Hopefully he flies down and goes to the strutzone at the top of the hill this morning. Going to leave my feather flex decoys at home only because Im hijacking the ol' mans Avian X hen decoy. It looks legit, hope its the ticket. Good Luck to those heading out!

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: May 17th, Day 18

Good luck

Gunna try something a little different this morning too.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Snuck in early this am only to have a doe blow for almost 20 minutes, needless to say gobbler I was after never gobbled once. Heard another gobbler round 6:15 sound off so started after him only to see a guy was parked where gobbler went. No biggie, I'm gonna try my first evening hunt later!

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Queit this morning headed to work early
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got to my spot and discovered that a group of teens decided to camp out lastnight. Heard a pile of birds off in the distance on land I don't have permission so Im callin off hunting till Monday. Who camps out on a Thursday night, really?

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Part of the Community

Took the day off today. Shouldn't have had to but I blew it Monday morning on a 2 year old that snuck in silent on me. Heard 3 birds sounding off this morning and set up on one roosted at the base of a big hollow. I saw him fly down and strut at about 80 yards with 2 hens. I backed out and circled around and am set up in one of our recently planted corn fields that birds were in the last 2 days. I'm gonna sit here quietly for a while and hope they show here again mid morning. Good luck everybody.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nothing off the roost...its starting to get to me. I can't sit and call to the empty woods.

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
The Man

got out this morning after a 3 mile jog/walk. Called 2 in. One hung out at 70 the other came in from 200 yards. He was the boss bird. I dumped him but he got up and flew over my head. 2 shots from the 870 from the rib cage, searched for half hour but didn't find him. Bummed out for sure. Monster bird. Both of these guys gobbled I know 80 times. Best day in the turkey woods ever, blew any rut hunt or fishing trip I ever had away by far.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike
got out this morning after a 3 mile jog/walk. Called 2 in. One hung out at 70 the other came in from 200 yards. He was the boss bird. I dumped him but he got up and flew over my head. 2 shots from the 870 from the rib cage, searched for half hour but didn't find him. Bummed out for sure. Monster bird. Both of these guys gobbled I know 80 times. Best day in the turkey woods ever, blew any rut hunt or fishing trip I ever had away by far.
you dumped him...and then he got up? and flew away!?!? my guess is you didnt do any dumping at all. unless hes dead and you just cant find him. but thats just strange man. sorry to hear that. i cant imagine that even ever happening. for me turkeys either fly or die when i pull the trigger. when they fly, i missed.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
The Man

he was flopping on the ground for a few seconds then charged me. Kills me inside to be honest. I worked so hard to get a bird this year, only to wing one. I may go up and search more after work, to recover him. Unless he was just shocked but he looked winged to me. worst feeling i have ever had hunting and best in the same day. I am hoping he makes it with a few bb's. Crossing fingers.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page