Strutter Decoys - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Strutter Decoys

Anyone using a strutter decoy? Are you having any success with it? I hear they sometimes scare jakes away but I'm not worried about that. I use mine sparingly (when I feel it's safe) but have never had any luck with it. Usually put it out with 2 hen decoys.

If you continue to do what you're doing, you'll only get what you have gotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Strutter Decoys

I've carried mine in the truck this season and never took it out. In the past I have used it, but have never called a bird in while it was out. I have Pretty boy and Pretty girl.

Member:
NRA- Life member
OSTA
FTA
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM

I have one in shed, I look at it often and walk right past it. Just can't bring myself to using it, don't know why either!

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Bought one this year and it certainly grabbed the attention of some birds. I rigged it up with real beard and fan. But never actually had birds in my decoy set... Just kind of cruise around. But can't say it scared any away. Gets to be a pain carrying it around tho
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have used my strutting jake decoy 4 times. 2 of the times we had jakes come in and they went straight to the jake decoy and walked around it peckin at it. and once a long beard came in to about 40 yards to check it out but kept following the hens he was with. and the other time we didn't see any birds. I have had better luck with it than my hen decoys.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 AM

I have a B-mobile I cut up to look like a jake in strut. I haven't seen any birds when I've had it out. So I can't comment on its effectiveness. There has been a few times I wished I had it out when birds hang up on me. Went to Cabelas yesterday to get a DSD jake but they didn't have. I have a Dakota jake and 2 DSD hens in my bow set as I type this. Hopefully this will do the trick.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I haven't had much success with my jake or my strutter decoy over the last few years. My son and his buddy had 2 hen decoys and a jake out a couple years ago and a gobbler walked right past the jake decoy to the hen decoys and his buddy shot it. I had the strutter decoy out in a field twice now that I know turkeys have seen it and they didn't even acknowledge it was there.

I have had good success with hens whooping up or getting agressive with my hen decoys though.

Just seems kinda odd. Hens seem more agressive toward my hen decoys than gobblers do to my jake or strutter decoy.

If you continue to do what you're doing, you'll only get what you have gotten.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Regular Visitor

The only time we have used our strutter, it worked out great. We put holes in the wing tips and tied fishing line to them and ran it into the blind so we could move the decoy around a little. When the gobbler came to the edge of the field, we turned the decoy to face him and he came running right up to it and strutted in circles around it. I sent an arrow through his feathers. he must have thought out decoy kicked him and went to the other side of the field and wouldnt come back till i belly crawled out and pulled the decoy back and put it behind the blind. he came right back and i made the second arrow count.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Regular Visitor

I have a mounted jake strutter. Boy do they work well. He has had a run in with some long beards in the last few years. Set him out in a longbeards strut zone. 3 Years ago i killed a 23lb double bearded bird that was hunted hard by 3 different guys. This bird was hunted for 4 years daily by atleast one guy. Smart bird he seen it all and heard every call. I hunted him for a matter of maybe 5 minutes mid morning. I layed in the high grass in the middle of the field and set the decoy out 20 yards on the crest of a little hill. As soon as he seen the decoy from 250 yards out he came out of strut left his 4 hens and made a dead run to the decoy went into strut and started attacking the decoy. pecking, spuring, wing smacking, I filmed the entire hunt and decided to wait it out to get good video. I filled his face full of lead in mid gobble. What felt like a good 5 minutes of just him attacking the decoy after video reviewing it turned out to be an entire 2 minutes from him droping strut 250 yards out till he was laying dead on the ground. He weighed 23.4lbs double thick beards one was 11.25" the other 7.5" and spure were 1 9/16 each.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Regular Visitor

lately the mounted jake strutter decoy stays home due to i have been chasing a bunch of tough hunted game land birds the last 2 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page