Game Lands Gobbler - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Game Lands Gobbler

I haven't been hearing much at all in the way of gobbling at my normal spots. I know the birds are there, they've just been quiet. So I hit the woods this morning planning on a day of running n gunning if the birds didn't come in to my initial setup. I got settled in a little before 5:30, about 100 yards from a regular roosting site. Daylight came and went and I didn't hear a thing. I sat until 7:30 and called lightly just incase they had roasted close but left the trees silently. No dice. Time to put the boots to work. I started out along a ridge top, calling every 100 yards. At 8 a.m. I heard one lone gobble. I don't even think he responded to my cutting, he just happened to gobble about 20 seconds after I had called. I got set up, and called softly over the next 45 minutes with no response. At one point, I thought I coud hear scratching in the leaves just down over the edge of the ridge, but out of sight. I just happened to glance over to my right, and there stood a gobbler about 15 yards away. I couldn't get a good look at his beard, but it didn't matter because there was no way I could move for a shot. He was 180 degrees from where I was set up, expecting the birds to come from. Soon, he was followed by two other gobblers, both of which were clearly jakes. No big deal, since last week I had seen a group of 5 jakes together. I just assumed that was them, and let them pass by without attempting a shot. I didn't really have one anyway, nor did I want to shoot a jake. I checked my watch and it was 9 a.m. I told myself I'd wait until 9:30, and then continue my walk. I called a few more times, and about 9:20 decided I was going to pack up and move. I cutt loudly one last time, just to see if anything was close. Nada. For some reason, I looked at my watch again, and said to myself, no, stay until 9:30. Five minutes later I heard walking behind me and to my right. I rolled my eyes as far as I could, and could just make out the shape of a turkey coming out of the hemlocks, and cutting behind me. I froze, as he passed a mere five yards behind me. I could hear him walking the whole time, and he never stopped. When he got to my left, but still behind me, I turned my head that way. He was walking straight away from me. I got turned, and got my gun up. He was about to head down over the edge of the ridge when he crossed through one last opening. I clucked, and he stopped and turned towards me. At that point I saw his beard, and pulled the trigger. The hevi 13 7's destroyed him at 30 yards. I've killed a decent number of gobblers, and never had one weigh over 20 lbs until this one. I don't know where everyone kills these 22-24 lb birds! Anyway, he had a thin 9 1/4 inch beard, 7/8 inch and 1 inch spurs, and tipped the scales at 21 lbs even. I'm glad I stuck around those extra few minutes! Kinda makes a guy wonder how many birds he's walked away from or spooked, that 10 more minutes of waiting would have killed!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Game Lands Gobbler

Nice Gobbler!

Member:
NRA- Life member
OSTA
FTA
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Part of the Community

congrats
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great bird. Way to be patient. Congratulations.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice Bird Congrats
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats Borden! That's a nice bird.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM

Congrats! Way to stick it out

Never Misses
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good story. Congrats on the bird.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page