Trent's 1st Turkey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trent's 1st Turkey

So Spring Gobbler season is a busy time for me and my son (Trent) and I don't mean hunting. I manage Trent's travel baseball team and we travel almost every weekend for tournaments. Even when we are local our games sometimes start at 8am. Between that and my work schedule it doesn't allow for much time to get Trent out for Turkey. Well we got lucky this time. When the schedule came out last week our first game wasn't until 12:45 on Saturday so we didn't need to leave the house until 10:30. As soon as we found out Trent asked me if we could go hunting in the morning before the start of the tournament. My only reply was "I am afraid you will be too tired. You know you have 2 games that day? Plus 3-4 on sunday" He said "I don't care bench me if you want to. It's our only chance to get out." How could I argue that?? We spent the next couple nights racing to the spot we were going to hunt each might after baseball practice listening and doing some last second scouting. Only heard one bird that week but saw a lot of sign and knew they were there. Saturday morning came around and I wanted to let him sleep as long as possible because of the busy day we had ahead of us. As soon as I said his name he was out of bed and getting dressed, no questions asked. We headed to our spot and heard nothing when we got there. We decided to sit and call for a little bit because of all the sign we had found. Then after about a half hour of so we heard one on the ridge above us. I said its going to be hard to call him downhill but lets give it a try. Well he walked right past us as I thought he would so we jumped up and circled out in front of him and got even with him on his ridge. We "flirted" with him for about and hour or so and then 2 more gobblers joined him. We worked them for about another half hour or 45 minutes until they got into sight. Now this is the first time Trent has ever had turkeys in front of him in the spring. He has seen them in deer/small game season but has never had them strut or gobble in front of him. They put on one heck of a show!! Strutting and gobbling for about another 20 minutes or so just out of range. I thought for sure they were going to see Trent shaking with excitement and bolt. Well he kept his composure and the birds started coming to within range. There was a big tom and 2 jakes. The Tom hung up on us and started walking off up the ridge away from us. The Jakes came in a little closer and I told him "as soon as you have a shot take it or they are going to follow that bird and be gone." Well that's all it took and as soon as the next bird stepped out the 20 gauge did its job and Trent rolled him!!! I have never seen him as excited as he was at that moment even when he shot his 8 point!! I feel sorry for any hunters who might have been within 10 miles of us because the yelling and screaming of our excitement probably chased all the birds out of the county.

We barely got home in time to change and go to baseball. We didn't do so well that day in our 2 games. After the games I said to Trent "well that sucked" and he said "who cares. Lets go home and finish mounting my turkey fan."

......and then people wonder why we hunt

Hopefully these pictures post right, I am not the best with them......

The smile says it all!!!

[img]http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/tcbase...y22013.jpg.html[/img]

[img]http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/tcbase...y62013.jpg.html[/img]

[img]http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/tcbase...y42013.jpg.html[/img]

[img]http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/tcbase...y82013.jpg.html[/img]

Get 'em down and keep 'em down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Re: Trent's 1st Turkey

Congrats to your son!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Don't know why it posted the link and not the pics (told you I wasn't very good at this) Try this

[img:left][/img]

Get 'em down and keep 'em down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Way to go
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM

It sounds like Trent enjoyed turkey hunting more than baseball! Congratulations to you both. My son just bagged his first longbeard this year also. It's a great feeling.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pictures tell all - great one with the feather in the cap ! Good for you two .....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Way to go Trent

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Awesome Trent...simply Awesome !!! Congrats !!

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Congrats Trent!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Huge congrats!!! Way to go!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page