May 6 - Day 8 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

May 6 - Day 8

Good luck to all who's heading out today.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: May 6 - Day 8

Good luck

Im still waitin on hearing my first gobble , and no giving up any time soon.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM

Meeting a buddy at a farm we haven't hunted yet this year. Good luck out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Called a boss gobbler in on Sunday in Ohio. First day he had six hens with him, the first Saturday he had nine hens with him and yesterday zero. I called one time and he came right in, to close. I was sitting at the base of a tree with my bow and he came to ten yards. Never could get drawn on him and at ten yard he saw me turned and flew. So far just not getting it done with the bow, had lots of chances and one miss.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage

wish I was out there.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Was out and had gobblers going pretty early. As seems to be the usual now they gobble on the roost, gobble on the ground, and just wont budge. I can only hunt til about 7:30 on weekdays but the action seems to stop by than anyway where I am hunting.

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM

At it again this AM. A buddy of mine that I archery hunt with a lot decided that he wanted to try his hand at turkey hunting which was fine with me because his farms are in an area with way more turkeys then mine have. I was excited to get out of my meager pickings and into a place that I knew we'd at least hear birds. That's really all I need anmymore. Just to hear a few to keep things interesting. Having never turkey hunted the farm I just picked a likely listening area and wouldn't you know it at 5:35, GOBBBLE! about 150 yards down along the hillside. My buddy was stoked as it was really the first gobble he ever heard in the wild. I told him we'd slide up along the slope and close the gap. It was getting light though and I was leary on getting too close but I pushed it a little and lucked out cause he just kept gobbling. We got all set up and I let out a couple clucks and light yelps and he answered right back. After that we sat silently. He gobbled like crazy and then shut up and my buddy was like 'are you gonna call' as if he was expecting him to just never stop gobbling haha. I told him it's only been a minute without a gobble and to be patient as he probably came off the roost. Next thing you know....GOBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLEE!!! About 60 yards away in the woods. I told him to get his gun at the ready and DONT MOVE. 10 seconds later this thing pops out of the woods and makes a bee-line for the deke. I saw right away that it was a decent jake but my bud was so excited I wasn't about to call off the shot plus it was doing it absolutely perfect. At 15 yards it caught my buddy making some rookie movement but it was too late and he leveled it at 15 yards with a load of 3.5" #5s.

I've been busting my hump for a turkey this spring but I have to be honest that the thought of killing today never crossed my mind. It was a lot of fun getting someone their first bird and I've had the pleasure of doing that twice now in my life. Each time has been a very cool experience and I'll remember it as long as I can. Congrats to Ryan for doing JUST ABOUT everything right lol. Funniest part of the AM was when he was like 'Man, that was easy!!" I assured him that there is most certainly a thing called 'beginners luck'. I mean we were done and out of there at 5:56am lol. We get back to the truck and he says "I'll bet my coffee is still warm........yep, still warm!!" I just cracked up. You know you had a good hunt when you dont even have time for the cup of coffee to chill.

Back at it for yours truely in the AM. I have a different idea in mind for fooling the mostly silent Tom ive been chasing all season now. He's wise but I'm no quitter.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Nice bird man. Congrats to your buddy on his first
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck to everyone going out. I got to sleep in today. Tagged out on Saturday. Now I can spend time fishing.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
The Man

I killed one on gamelands this morning. I'll get a story up and a pic or two when I get a few minutes...

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page